Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the Roadies I have a question for those of you who've ridden them longer. When I run the throttle up while moving I hear what sounds like rythmic clacking sounds from the engine. Almost as if it were valves chattering. But if I give it a little more gas it goes away.

At idle it's not there.

The bike runs smooth, gets great mileage and has power to spare. So the question is, is this a normal sound? Is it from the carbureter or fuel pump? It's a 1700 2007, less than 12k miles on it.

Enquiring minds want to know.. Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Callred, boy am I glad to see your post. I just picked up my '07 R* two days ago and was wondering about the same noise. My ride also seems to preform fine, seeing your post makes me think it's a normal sound for these large v-twins.

I guess we need to wait for a more experienced owner to chime in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GEZ, I've been doing a bit of research and unless the valves are worn out (not probable at 11k miles) then the sound is normal. It'll take breaking down the top to adjust them and check that they don't bottom out easily to be sure. But I've read dozens of posts from different owners that point to the big twins making noises.

Like you though. I'd like to see some additional imput from owners that have ridden the Roadies more than I have.

·
Registered
434 Posts
To be honest, even my new 2012 950 tourer makes noise. I was a little worried too, but it runs great and has less than 600 miles on it. My old Honda didn't really make this kind of noise, but it never had the power of this bike either.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm new to these big v-twins, I come from a sport bike past, GPZ1100. My '07 * has 2500 miles on it. It was well cared for, it's like new. I was a bit worried about things not being right due to lack of use.

I've put 150 miles on it in two days, adjusting to this new riding style. At this stage of life I like the change.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't ridden in 15 years. Last Summer I bought a V-Star 650 Classic from a friend and never stopped riding. It also had strange noises which could simply be a sign of the breed.

If a 950 Tourer and a RS with 2500 miles on it have the sounds, then maybe I can settle back and relax.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They all make that noise. (it's a good noise:D) Day one when i got her home from the dealer i called the dealer and mentioned the noise he just laughed and said welcome to the club. 20,000 miles later i know what he means. It's just the way the motors are. I LOVE MY ROADSTAR.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
You all must have stock exhaust - how can you hear anything when rolling on the throttle of one of those big beasts! :)

I ride an 1100 classic, but I test rode a 2006 Roadliner this week and noticed a few things (OK a lot but only a few that made me wonder).

Downshifts from any gear have a distinct THUNK. Is that normal? My 1100 does this going into first, but nowhere else and not nearly as loud and solid feeling.

When in first, the shift lever will not go down at all - no movement. It's a nice way to know you've hit first if downshifting fast, just curious of that was normal (the owner had a modded shift lever that did not have the heel down shift).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running a Cobra Speedster exhaust and can still hear it because it comes from the front. Still, it's a sound I've gotten used to now :)

Yes to the clunk, mine sounds very serious when I drop a gear, like it means it. If the bike jumps though, the clutch handle might need adjustmenat. I adjusted mine a little weak once and it went away when the clutch was correctly adjusted.

And both 1st and 5th on mine won't move once in them. I kind of miss the movement in Fifth. My V-Star will let me kick it up in fifth to say it's already in it. The Roadie won't and I have to pull the clutch in and kick it to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on the gear clunk - I'm really close to buying this liner and that makes me feel better.

Really don't know what else to look at. No drips or leaks, rides great, sounds great. Fluids are all at correct levels. Don't have a maintenance log though. Owner does have an extra oil filter (says he bought a 3 pack and used 2 after dealer did first service - 11k on the clock now).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you're on the throttle, that sound would be the rockers hitting the lifters because hte springs aren't stiff enough to push them back fast enough. Not bad, just a limiting factor when it comes to power and acceleration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts