Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a 2000 1600 Silverado.
It has just turned 83,000 and is running great.

Does any one have any knowledge of just how long this old girl will keep on ticking? Is there an average life for these bikes?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have heard of quite a few going over 150,000 miles without having to do engine work and there is a couple more well over 200,000 miles. As long as they are properly maintained, they will last a long time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you . That is really good to hear . I think I'll keep riding it.
I am amazed at the fact that this bike uses no oil.i put 5 qts in and 2 or 3000 miles later I take 5 qts out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're putting in a quart too much.
There are a couple of Yamaha Gold Techs in the other forum that say to use ONLY 4 quarts (including filter) for an oil change. Their procedure is as follows:
Make bike level, remove oil tank plug and engine oil plug, then remove filter, let drain. Replace plugs and filter, pour 2 Qts. of oil in tank, Don't forget to screw the dipstick back in, you'll only forget once, start engine and rev for a couple of seconds to get the oil from the tank into the engine. Shut off engine, pour in remaining 2 Qts., screw in Oil filler cap and enjoy.

To check the oil - ride until sufficiently warmed up, come to a stop, let bike idle for 30 seconds, with no revving, shut off engine and check oil, it should be close to the middle of the hash marks on the dipstick.

Oil change link with pics- http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/158/116/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gadgetman but I think I'll stick with the service manual on this one.

The total engine oil capacity is 5.3 quarts.

I use a 5qt.jug and it puts the oil right at the top of the hash marks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The oil level is supposed to be in the middle of the hash marks, not the top. There have been several addendum's to the Star manuals for the 1600 & 1700 engines. There are many threads about the quirkiness of the oil quantities & checking the oil on our beloved Roadies. I suggest you GOOGLE "Too much OIL in Road Star", just for reference, but by all means put as much oil, of which ever brand you wish. It's your bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Gadgetman but I think I'll stick with the service manual on this one.

The total engine oil capacity is 5.3 quarts.

I use a 5qt.jug and it puts the oil right at the top of the hash marks.
You are correct on the total oil capacity being 5.3 quarts but Yamaha says for an oil and filter change, you only put in 4.3 quarts. This is from both the service manual and owner's manual. Most people just put in 4 quarts for an oil change since that .3 is not really enough to matter. If 5 quarts works for you and you don't mind paying for an extra quart of oil at every change, then by all means, keep on doing it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. It's been good to the engine for 83324.0 mi.
She doesn't burn any oil or blow or leak any.

I don't mind paying for an extra qt.

I've got to pull her down today and change the rear rotor and pads.
I ve got some long engrained riding habits that eat brakes in the mountains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am sincerely trying to help, but since I seem to be offering an unwanted opinion, I will answer your original question and post no more.

Your bike will last as long as any other improperly maintained bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my 2 cents

i dont have a road star but i did a lot of research last year before i got my 04 classic 1100.looking for a bike that had longevity,low maint.cost,durability.and ran across a site that put all make of bike on a chart and compared on about 20 different categories and the star was on the upper part of the list.R.S.is a larger cc but the engine is built on the same lines as other stars.when i took my bike to the shop to get a tire i ask the mechanic about the noise i hear in the engine is normal because it had been a 30 dry spell since my last bike and the star was a totally different beast he says yes they are a noisy engine but maintained properly they will go 100,000 + i am sure your R.S will do the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
62 & retired @ 60 certified vibration-oil-ultrasonic analyst, thermography and CT Journeyman machinist/tool maker..........

........ you were saying?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't care what you are certified as or in you sir are insulting and obnoxious.
If you are attempting a conversation or an argument. You have failed miserably .

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Girls, girls, girls .... You're all pretty :D

I know, we're an online group so it's hard to read emotions or intentions. One misperceived wrong leads to another and then another ... It happens.

Just remember, we're a bit of a family here and all trying to have fun, learn a few things, and help each other out. As we are a family, remember cousin Eddie is a bit slow, uncle Fester is a bit odd, and everyone needs to try to play nice.

If you really need to make fun of someone or engage in name calling, use Stratowart as a target ... No one really likes him anyway :D :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts