Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a pickle. Not sure which moto to get. I can either get a 2013 Roadstar new, or a 2009 Stratoliner S with only 4300 miles on it. The Strat is 8000, and the Roadstar is 11000. So not that big difference in price. Just wondering if the Strat is that much different then the Roadstar, besides the engine size. I would have to , add a windshield, backrest and luggage rack to the Strat, the Roadstar has it all ready. Any advice on advantages or disadvantages of either. I'm sure the main advantage is the Roadstar is brand new, but 4500 miles isn't that many miles for a moto right.
I appreciate any info, thanks.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Have not ridden the Strat so I can't comment on differences between the rides...but Stratowart let me sit his Strat once and it feels similar to the Roadstar. Roadstar is a great bike with plenty of power. It is low, scraping the boards happens pretty often for some people. 2 up can make you scrape frame now and again too if both riders are good sized. Love, love my Roadie. Test ride em both! And price out adding the accessories the roadstar already has to the Strat so you are comparing real price.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
What's with this 'comparing real price' crap Annie?!

I say let the chips fall where they may and price be damned - go with your heart!!!!!

Next you'll be suggesting folks consider the 'real costs' of getting married or having kids or .... Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea - where the hell were you 30 years ago when I could have used that advice!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the info all. I think I'm going to settle on a stratoliner. I've been looking around and found a couple, that I've been looking at. I just need to get the wife to sign off on it now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended getting the 2008 Stratoliner S. I think I may have jumped in too big. I love the power and ride of the bike, but trying to move the bike just out of my garage is a chore. This is one big heavy bike. Is the Road Star any smaller, or is it basically the same size, but slightly smaller engine. I can do an even swap for a 2007 Road Star. The problem is I'd have to ride 3 hours just to sit on it and test ride it. I don't mind riding 3 hours, but would it be a wasted trip. Does the Road Star's handlebars need risers or pullback, like the stratoliner. I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was looking at Strats and rode one twice at demo days. I really really like the strat. Now I came across a great deal on a Roadie and ended up getting it. I came from a Vstar 650 and both bike felt very heavy to me. However after running the Roadie for awhile it has become "light" to me. So what I would say to you is, the Roadie is not going to feel lighter to you then the Strat, once you are on the Strat for awhile it will get the feel for you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks derailed. I appreciate the info. That's what I should do, just give it some time. Come to think of it, when I got my first bike a honda spirit 1200, it felt big and too much bike at the time too, then after riding it a while it felt just like an extension of me. I'll have give the strat some time. Hopefully it will be like the spirit was and become easier to manage. Thanks again for the info. I love this forum. It really talks sense into you and prevents you from jumping the gun, and probably regretting something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts