Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlight and the belt guard (chrome) rattle when hitting bumps, which is on most roads here in NYS.
Anyone else experience this?
Any ideas on resolving this are much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My belt guard bangs against my saddlebag brackets. The brackets are not OEM nor are the bags. I've had to cut off some of the protruding mounting bolt and flange to provide more space but still get some banging on hard bumps. Considering removing the guard altogether.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Belt guard has rubber bushings with a metal sleeve in them so once the bolt is tight
it just bottoms out on the sleeve. I took the sleeve to the local hardware store and got
a couple of stainless steel washers that has a hole big enough that the sleeve would fit through it. When tightened the washers actually squish the rubber bushing tighter and that took care of the belt guard rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a friend who removed the belt guard from his 2000 HD fatboy. We went off to a flea market one day and the parking lot was dirt. While riding into the lot a small stone got up into the belt and when it went thru the rear pulley it shredded his belt. That was expensive not to mention a big PIA.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got a friend who removed the belt guard from his 2000 HD fatboy. We went off to a flea market one day and the parking lot was dirt. While riding into the lot a small stone got up into the belt and when it went thru the rear pulley it shredded his belt. That was expensive not to mention a big PIA.
I don't see how removing the belt guard had anything to do with that other than coincidence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see how removing the belt guard had anything to do with that other than coincidence.
Perhaps it was a coincidence but have you ever wondered why bikes with a chain only guard the top of the chain yet bikes that are belt driven guard both top and bottom. I think i'll keep mine on just in case it wasn't a coincidence.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perhaps it was a coincidence but have you ever wondered why bikes with a chain only guard the top of the chain yet bikes that are belt driven guard both top and bottom. I think i'll keep mine on just in case it wasn't a coincidence.
Well let's see if my memory serves me .... last 3 bikes I had with a chain drive were a Honda 750-4, a Honda 500-4, and a '72 Truimph 650 Bonneville ... only the Hondas had a chain guard. Only bikes I've had with a belt is my current '05 Road Star and my '13 Victory XCT that I recently sold .... only have a guard on the top of the belt.

That said, if you have a guard on top and bottom, I can see your point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2005 Road star and it has a guard on both top and bottom. My buddies 2000 hd fatboy has a guard on both top and bottom now which was the stock set up. I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a pissing match, if you feel running with out any belt guards is the way to go then by all means leave them off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2005 Road star and it has a guard on both top and bottom. My buddies 2000 hd fatboy has a guard on both top and bottom now which was the stock set up. I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a pissing match, if you feel running with out any belt guards is the way to go then by all means leave them off.
ummmmm ... and I said "That said, if you have a guard on top and bottom, I can see your point."

No idea how you managed to take my posts so far out of context buddy. There's no "pissing match" going on here. I had no idea your bike had upper and lower guards or for that matter, your buddys. In my mind I only imagined an upper so leaving it on makes little difference insofar as getting a rock / pebble/ whatever caught in the belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nope, neither did my Victory ... so I "ASSumed" LOL

Did a google search and looked at various pics ... seems some do and some don't or maybe the PO removed the lower on mine ??? Never really thought about it.
I have a 05 road star midnight star and it has a lower guard. It's that lower guard that really protects the belt from foreign objects being introduced to the rear pulley.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 05 road star midnight star and it has a lower guard. It's that lower guard that really protects the belt from foreign objects being introduced to the rear pulley.
can't disagree with that!

mine is also a '05 Midnight so either mine never had a lower guard or the PO removed it. The bike is under cover for the winter but I'll take a look this weekend to see if there is any evidence of a lower guard having been there. Now you got me curious LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts