Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eliminated your fuel pump by routing your fuel line directly to the carb? If so, what was your experience?

I met a 2007 Midnight Star owner who said he did that and hasn't had any problems. I don't know if I'm going to do it or not, but I am curious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The issue would be the 6 psi required to fill the float bowl. The pump is used to provide a constant fuel pressure. Gravity feed systems are prone to starve the motor for fuel in the corners and under hard acceleration.
just my 2cents:eek:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've done it. It was a great experience. I needed the switched power supply for my radio. The most difficult part is bending a piece of 3/4" steel to 90 degrees, drilling 2 holes, and notching it for a place to mount your choke.

I can run at 93mph all day long with no pump, vented gas cap, and no other modifications. At 98mph I can run for 10 seconds. At 102mph I can run for 3 seconds before it sputters due to fuel starvation.

NO kit needed. Seriously. Don't waste your money. Vent the cap, get a $3 fuel filter, 1.5' of hose, and some clamps. It's really easy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done it. It was a great experience. I needed the switched power supply for my radio. The most difficult part is bending a piece of 3/4" steel to 90 degrees, drilling 2 holes, and notching it for a place to mount your choke.

I can run at 93mph all day long with no pump, vented gas cap, and no other modifications. At 98mph I can run for 10 seconds. At 102mph I can run for 3 seconds before it sputters due to fuel starvation.

NO kit needed. Seriously. Don't waste your money. Vent the cap, get a $3 fuel filter, 1.5' of hose, and some clamps. It's really easy.
My pump failed last week so I am now pumpless. I am actually getting too much fuel at certain speeds, so the carb needs some fine tuning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts