Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Road Star Silerado Owners Club

20K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  tazman34685 
I have a 2000 1600 Silverado. When trying to start for the first time of the day in cold weather, it is hard to start. I am cranking for a couple of minutes until the first rumble..then it's fine for the rest of the day. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks for the tip on the headlight. Had the same problem this weekend. Went camping and thought as the weather was going to be nice I'd take the Silverado along and go for a spin on Sat. Well, it was about 5-9C until about 11:30 am and by that time my battery was run down so that I had to leave it on the tender to bring it back up( didnt' bring a full charger with me) and it was after noon by the time we left for a ride. Next time I'll make sure to tender overnight and try the headlights on for a few minuete first.
In addition to that, I had heard that the starter motor on the RS Silverado wasn't a particularly high output one and installing a Warrior starter would also help the hard to start in the cold problem. Any comments?
Thanks again

hard start

Thanks for the info...what I'm hearing is your situation was during hot starts as well. Mine is only during cold weather and the hotter the bike the better it stars all summer. I do have VH aftermarket pipes though and the idea of more torque at start off is appealing, even though this is the most torque i've had in a bike yet

hard to start

My local dealer gave me a tip that seems to have the problem solved. Turn on the key...wait a few seconds for the battery to warm up because of the headlights being on. Of course the choke is out full, turn the throttle once full on then full off and crank the starter button...I've started it consistantly since getting the tip and this morning it was 4degrees C...or about 40 F

Hard Start

Problem seems to have been solved. Turn on the key, choke out, wait a minute for battery to heat up, open throttle ONCE and then off, press start button and starts every time so far. Thanks to the counter person and Duncan Motorsports for the tip.:D

Road Star Clinic

I have a 2006 Roadstar Silverado 1700 no FI, just got it week and absolutely love it!
Glad to hear you've joined the group of owners. You will love this bike!

Have you been on the Road Star Clinic forum yet? I've spent all my time for the past couple of years there. It is the most amazing group of guys and their knowledge is neverending. They share willingly and have helped me with many, many mods. I think if you were to take a look, you would soon join it...my handle there is Edge51..drop by and say hi.
Ride Safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.