Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2004 Road Star Silverado Midnight Star 1700, 2007 VStar Classic 1100
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up a little bit ago. Vin check shows it as 2004 Road Star Silverado Midnight Star.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

We pulled the driver backrest off when we loaded it. Needs a little TCL and a bath. When I say bath, I mean detailed cleaning. Slip ons are showing a little surface rust starting in an isolated patch. Clear coat on one of the side plates is worn off on one section but the color is still there. Probably an easy fix. Apes have to go.

Other than these two spots it looks pretty good.
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know where I might find a taller factory plexiglass for the windshield on that Road Star? I was looking around and I like the chrome on the windshield I have but couldn’t find a replacement where the holes matched up.

I had toyed with the idea of buying a fairing but after today, that’ll have to wait. I haven’t looked to see if there was any adjustment in this one yet. I intend to work on them today but I got called away on an emergency 3 hrs away. At least I have a day off tomorrow (technically today I guess). My three boys got the day off too. Be a good day to teach them something. They make good tool fetchers too 😉 just don’t ask them to hold a flashlight 😂.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was adjustment in the windshield, plenty of it. We worked on the bikes from 1pm - 8pm this evening. Specifically, for this thread, we got the risers and apes off it and installed new risers and factory handlebars. MAN! What a difference that made!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

I got a lot of the white haze wiped off but it needs a proper bath and detail.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

This was only day 1. More to come. The plastic-chrome that was all over the controls is gone. New levers coming. I’ll go out any polish up th original aluminum handlebar controls sometime this week. They have been hidden under those plastic chrome covers since God only knows when. I need to wire loom those nasty looking cables. I know I have some somewhere….

Tank bib is now gone. The instrument bezel on the tank no longer fits flush to the tank. Don’t know what I’ll do about it yet. I may replace the bezel, I may try to bend it back. We’ll see. Personally, if the paint is good, and it is, I’d rather be looking at the paint than a leather bib.

I took it on its maiden voyage after we reinstalled the windshield (sorry I didn’t get a picture of that). Rode beautifully for that 25 miles. It’s the closest to my Roadliner that I think I’ve been on. The sound from those pipes is very familiar. Can’t tell I’m missing 200cc. Once warm, it was smooth sailing. I loved it.

Stay tuned…

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, yeah, that spot that looked like the clear was coming off… that wasn’t clear coat. I have no idea what it was but it must have been some kinda plastic melted on there. I sprayed it with some Invisible Glass cleaner and it came right off. Huge win right there.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrome wide levers, look similar to factory but chrome. After I polish the aluminum that’s on it, they shouldn’t stick out too bad.
Natural material Electric blue Metal Automotive exterior Hood

I also ordered two sets of these.
Cylinder Liquid Font Nickel Aluminium

I don’t care for the extra fat grips that are on it. I ordered a set for the VStar too. Its grips aren’t bad they are just a little abrasive. I don’t usually have an issue with sweaty hands so they probably aren’t needed. The plastic ends on them aren’t fairing too well either. Both sets are due for replacement. These are chromed aluminum. The ones I already have on the Road Star are chromed plastic.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. Do you have a link for the levers. I have been considering upgrading mine

Clutch lever is currently out of stock.

· Registered
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
352 Posts
Reaction score
Road Star is now street legal. Insurance on it was less than my VStar 1100. I found that odd.
I also have a Road Star Midnight (2003) and a V-Star 1100. If I remember correctly on my last bill, they were only a few bucks apart from each other.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also have a Road Star Midnight (2003) and a V-Star 1100. If I remember correctly on my last bill, they were only a few bucks apart from each other.
They are, I just found it amusing that the little one cost me more a month than the big one.

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pic of windshield installed at new height. Still need to lower the lower shield to the headlight.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Didn’t do much tonight. Got them warm and adjusted throttles. She said, “ Blop….Blop….Blop….Bleh…”

Now she says, “Blop.Blop.Blop.Blop.Blop”

Did some adjustment to the 1100 too. She said, “Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr”

Now she says, “LoLoLoLoLoLoLo” but I still need to slow it down a little. I just want to ride it first and see how it idles after running it. These old carbureted bikes are cold hearted and not always easy to set the idle in cold weather.

Hopefully tomorrow to I’ll get to the store for new battery, bike cover and magic erasers to bring the white back to those whitewalls.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,262 Posts
Reaction score
Anyone know where I might find a taller factory plexiglass for the windshield on that Road Star? I was looking around and I like the chrome on the windshield I have but couldn’t find a replacement where the holes matched up.

Their website is rarely up-to-date, so call them before you give up.....

· Registered
83 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts