Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a V-Star 950 Tourer (purchased new) for 3 1/2 years. Although I love it, and it has served me exceptionally well with practically no repairs, I am about ready to get a bigger bike. My main goal is to tour at interstate speeds for hundreds of miles a day more comfortably and with greater power.

Currently, I have my sights set on a Road Star Silverado (1650cc). The largest bike I've ridden so far is my 950 Tourer.

I would like to hear from experienced Silverado riders who have done extensive touring. How well did the bike (and you) fare, including at high speed, for say 8-10 hours a day? Any information regarding power, comfort, acceleration, gear storage, etc.?

If you rode a smaller bike before the Silverado, I'd especially like to hear about the transition. How different did the change feel? Was it mind blowing, or a different level of improvement?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
6 Posts
go for it

My last bike was a Suzuki 750 Intruder, Now I have the R* 1700 Silverado and it is a completely different feel the bike due to its weight and size is much more comfortable. It will also give you a sense of, (for lack of a better term), Security. The 750 was much lighter and prone to feeling every bump, and wind gust.

I also looked at 950 before I got the R* and I am very happy I went the way I went.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I traded a V-Star 1100 for my 2009 Road Star a little over 2 years ago. Loved the V-Star but I have no regrets. The Road Star is a great highway bike. Great handling, more power, and very comfortable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
DavidY,
While you can see that we speak highly of the comfort, the truth is like my R* brothers I dream of the day I can complete a 690+ mile trip on the R*.
I mean since picking up my bike in Feb with only 2400 miles on it, I proud to say my 2007 R* Silverado now has 7500 miles on it. I must admit the cruiser way of two wheel life is so different from the sportbike lifestyle.
My personal opinion the journey on the R* is just that a journey not a mad dash between point A to point B. Much better chance to keep the pointer off my license. Florida police seem to get a pass to cruisers. (On the ZX10 I know there have been a few time I would have been pay attention too.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just sold my 2006 1100 Silverado after 18 months. Bought a 2005 Silverado R*. I have ridden it about 2000 miles so far. It's a more comfortable bike on the highway for me. Everything is just a touch bigger. Broader handle-bars, more leg room, larger fuel capacity and a bit heavier. I shift into 5th at about 70-75. The engine speed on the highway is much lower than my V-Star. I loved that V-Star and it's looks but was ready for a little more long distance riding. The Road Star seemed keep the style I liked and offer more comfort at highway speeds. It was a perfect upgrade for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts