Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have not ridden the Vstar 1300 but I have rode the Stryker and I own a Roadstar. I do not like the 1300 motor at all what so ever. If you are in to low of a gear it really feels like the pistons are going to come up though the seat. Now I rode it stock at a dealer event and with stock pipes its so quite you can not tell its running. Maybe with some aftermarkets you could judge better when to down shift and avoid this. However in the end the motor does not have the torque that the 1700 does and I like the looks of the Roadie better. Not sure where you would get the best info about the Vstar but for more than you will ever want to know about a Road Star go to roadstarclinic.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Vstar 1300 and I like it . I test rode a Victory Cross Roads that I really like , but have never rode the Roadstar. A local dealer has a brand new 2013 Roadstar for $7999 , but if it didn`t have that smooth ride and tons of torque like that Victory I may be disappointed in it. Wish I could find a killer of a deal on the Cross Roads.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have the Vstar 1300 and I like it . I test rode a Victory Cross Roads that I really like , but have never rode the Roadstar. A local dealer has a brand new 2013 Roadstar for $7999 , but if it didn`t have that smooth ride and tons of torque like that Victory I may be disappointed in it. Wish I could find a killer of a deal on the Cross Roads.
If there is anything the Roadstar has it is tons of torque. I have heard the Road Star described as not doing anything great but doing everything very very well. Seriously join or just browse the Roadstarclinic.com you will get tons of info on them from there few low points to everything you can easily do to improve them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had an 03 Roadie from 03 to 07, then in 07 traded the Roadie for an 07 V Star 1300. Still got the 1300. I prefer the 1300 because its quicker, handles better and is smoother. Also love the water cooled engine. You have to work the 1300 because it loves high revs compared to the Roadie. If you put them side by side, their wheelbase & width are just about the same. They both run the same size front tire. On the rear the VStar is actually a bit wider.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had an 03 Roadie from 03 to 07, then in 07 traded the Roadie for an 07 V Star 1300. Still got the 1300. I prefer the 1300 because its quicker, handles better and is smoother. Also love the water cooled engine. You have to work the 1300 because it loves high revs compared to the Roadie. If you put them side by side, their wheelbase & width are just about the same. They both run the same size front tire. On the rear the VStar is actually a bit wider.

Is an 03' still the 1600? I have an 06' so still carbed but 1700 with the bigger tank. The newer Roadies have smaller tanks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is an 03' still the 1600? I have an 06' so still carbed but 1700 with the bigger tank. The newer Roadies have smaller tanks.
Correct, from what I read when they added FI to the Rodie they put the fuel pump in the tank, taking up space.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made the deal on a 2013 Road Star S tonight at Turn One Motorsports in Plymouth , Indiana. It was still there when I went back and I will pick it up later this week . 2013 for $7999 with zero miles. Plus they want stock seats on their bikes and told me I could keep the Mustang seat w/backrest off my 09 V Star trade in . I figure I could sell that for $300 or so. It`s like brand new.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Made the deal on a 2013 Road Star S tonight at Turn One Motorsports in Plymouth , Indiana. It was still there when I went back and I will pick it up later this week . 2013 for $7999 with zero miles. Plus they want stock seats on their bikes and told me I could keep the Mustang seat w/backrest off my 09 V Star trade in . I figure I could sell that for $300 or so. It`s like brand new.
Jim are you the one who owned a 1300?
Congrats on the new bike. Not more then a few weeks ago I was thinking long and hard about moving up to a Road Star, there are some good deals out there. Without question, I would consider moving up to one, for two reasons, one being just to make a change and two being, power, a bit more heavy, Ive read many professional reviews on the Road Star, sounds like a great bike, in fact, e-mailed my wife another good deal I just saw on a new one, just yesterday but after my pulley swap on my 1300 I THINK a new bike will be put off another year or two unless a LOCAL dealer has a steal of a price like you just got on a Rodie or Nomad 1700.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Not more then a few weeks ago I was thinking long and hard about moving up to a Road Star, there are some good deals out there. Without question, I would consider moving up to one, for two reasons, one being just to make a change and two being, power, a bit more heavy, Ive read many professional reviews on the Road Star, sounds like a great bike, in fact, e-mailed my wife another good deal I just saw on a new one, just yesterday but after my pulley swap on my 1300 I THINK a new bike will be put off another year or two unless a LOCAL dealer has a steal of a price like you just got on a Rodie or Nomad 1700.

I never rode a Nomad but I have read many people that have had them and came from a Star bike were not pleased with them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I am alarmguy. I helped persuade you on your VStar 1300 purchase. The Road Star is a smoother rider than the 1300 although it has a little of that Harley shake at idle it clears up as you ride. the torque is quite nice and nearly as nice as the Cross Roads that I couldn`t see spending way more money on. While the 1300 will chug if you get the revs too low the Road Star just keeps pulling thru the rpm range. Believe it or not for me the Road Star is easier to handle than the 1300 and I thought that bike was as easy as my old C50. Yamaha does occasionally have demo days and I encourage you to test ride one if you get the chance.While I love the 1300 and could still be happy with it stepping into the Road Star 4 years newer for $4600 difference w/trade out the door was a good move for me. Jim

·
Registered
845 Posts
Amazing Jim, thanks for yet another round of feedback, you were right on the money with the 1300 many years ago.

The last year or so I have been searching and looking, no emergency at all but can tell you, if some of the deals I see out there were anywhere near me, I would have pulled the trigger by now. I even, on occasion think about buying it online and having it shipped to me but then the hassle of selling the current bike etc.
So anyway, exactly and even my wife behind if a great deal comes up, leave my old bike and ride away on the new.

Also thinking of her and to make her part of it the Nomad 1700 has a GREAT setup for the passenger (and that 6th gear but I figured a solution to that one!) but they are 1000s more and 830lbs, right now anyway, then I started reading up on the Rodie and thought .. hmmm .. If you remember, I am concerned about weight but you were right on the 1300 and I know on the Rodie another 60 or 70 Lbs will make no difference and maybe even a bit more stable two up and certainly on the interstate.I am surprised after all the reading reviews by publications that I never knew of this bike years ago.

Anyway, good luck with it, I have calmed down a little bit (which is good because not good deals near me) I can tell you, for my style of riding, the pulley swap (putting a Stryker front belt pulley in) did turned the 1300 into a while other animal, its now super smooth at 75 GPS MPH on the highway (or indicated 83 MPH) Amazing difference. Remember we thought the c50 was to buzzy, then the 1300 was an amazing improvement ... now this Stryker front belt pulley took it a step further, amazing how you get used to more and more power and speed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep , that 1300 is a nice bike. They are somewhat similar but different. Like I said the main difference is the smoothness of ride and low end torque. You can`t go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Been searching for months for a better suited touring bike to add to the stable. Also wife likes the more standard cruiser style and wants a bagger. We do need something more suited for two up full packed long rides and even solo riding along side Stryker with both bikes packed as that's what we do now.

Wife and I both have Strykers.
Personally I think Star's 1304cc liquid cooled motor is one of the best out out there.

We had a 950 for a wile. It was a heat monster in the extreme mountains where we live. But we could pack her up and hit the Hwy.
We looked at the 1300 Deluxe almost a year ago to trade in the 950 on but couldn't land the right deal. So ended up with another Stryker.

We have been out test riding bikes, Indian, Triumph Tbird LT 1700, and finally hit the Star days demo yesterday. BTW to describe the Indian in one word would be Cadillac, An awesome bike.

They did not have a Road Star for test rides.:mad: because this is the bike I want, But we did test ride the Strat Deluxe, 1300 deluxe and the Raider. While I was impressed with the hydraulic clutch on the Strat and Raider they both were heat monsters and while the Raider had a lot of torque the Strat fell short in that department. The 1854cc motors seemed to rev out fast and very sluggish at low end. While the Raider handled similar to my Stryker it did take more effort to turn in the parking lot.

My main and probably only concern with the Roadstar is if it generates as much heat as the 1854cc motors do??

I realize we are going to give up the nimble handling of the Stryker for any touring bike, but my wife said the 1300 deluxe handled similar to the Stryker, minus a few degrees of lean angle as she scrapped the floorboard following the line of sport bike at the demo onto the freeway around a long sweeping curve
The 1300 dose like to rev and goes like a bat out of haities, so it makes for difficult control at speeds between 15 and 35 mph in sweeping twisties while climbing 20% grades.

So What I'm hopping is the 1700 will have good low end torque without overheating in those conditions?

If you guys that own roadie can give me some feed back it would be much appreciated as we have located one and even if we test ride it I doubt it will be in the conditions I described.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I very recently traded in my Vstar 1300 for a new 2013 Road Star. The Vstar likes to rev out and I think it may accelerate a little faster, but the Road Star just seems smoother in every way. The Road Star makes a lot of torque at low revs and even though it moves out pretty good it doesn`t feel like it because of the smoothness of the pulling.I havn`t noticed a great deal of heat from the Road Star but others may claim different. I personally think the the Road Star is even easier to ride than the 1300, and I thought that was an easy ride.The Road Star does tend to shake some at idle being a single pin hard mounted push-rod engine, but it all clears up as soon as you get on the throttle. In that sense it is much like the Harley.I love both bikes but I`m not disappointed I bought the Road Star I like it even more. I test rode a Victory Cross Roads and had my heart set on that but it was way out of my price range. Glad I got a good deal on the Roadie.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Road Star has a rev limiter of 4800 rpm`s on new Road * , while older ones rev limiter was 4200 rpm`s. Torque peak I believe I heard was around 2500rpm. You could take off in second gear without killing the engine . I`ve done it but not intentional. I just got a little over 1k miles on it now and that is the brake in suggested miles so I may baby it a little less now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do you know what the max load capacity is for two riders and gear??
The Stryker surprisingly is 450lbs but the suspension is really stiff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts