Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
If you are doing word searchs on bike listings and using Silverado, you are going to miss out on all the Road Stars listed with aftermarket saddle bags and windshields, which might be better equipped or might be a better deal

and you will not see any of the naked Road Star bikes being sold searching that way, you might be missing some really great deals just because they dont show up

its not hard or expensive to add bags to a base model if you find a great deal on one

in general try to make your search (on Craigslist for example) as generic as possible, just search on RoadStar or Vstar, or even just on Yamaha and read thru the lists

some people dont know their bike is a Road star or a silverado, they sometimes spell Yamaha wrong - no one sees those ads, and they get no calls, and it can become a great deal for you when you find it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greetings

This is my first post, and hopefully not my last. After years of bike retirement, I've decided to try to get on two wheels again. Having been out of it all for quite some time, and not really having known many of the middle-weights, I have been doing some research to find the elusive 'dream bike'.

I have decided that I like the Road Stars, but there is some peculiar information available. My questions are about the weight of various models and various years. I can't determine which sites are giving accurate weights or if there really are such large discrepancies between models. Specifically, I'm looking at a few 2000 to 2010 XV1600s and XV1700s.

I have found a 2000 XV1600 Silverado and some sites show a weight of aprox. 700 lbs while Wiki shows several models that are all above 860 lbs. dry. However, I am also looking at 2004 and 2006 XV1700s with web sites showing 612 and aprox. 680 lbs. dry.

Does anyone know if these figures are accurate? Is there a site that has known correct weights for Road Star bikes?

I'm not as young as I used to be, so if I can shave off a couple hundred pounds, that would really be better me. When I sat on the 2000 1600, it felt very heavy, all 900 pounds of it. I have not made it to try the 2006 1700, so I don't have a comparison feel just yet.

Any help in sorting out the weights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Greetings

I will be 62 next month. I am 6'4" & 300 pounds. My current bikes are a 2002 Roadstar, the Purple People Eater, & a 2013 Stratoliner

To be honest I do not know the exact weight of either bike because as you found different sites list different weights. I can tell you my Roadstar was stripped when I bought it brand new in November 2001. After putting on bags, a windshield and a leather trunk I did not feel much difference. Point being on both the strat & roadie, the COG is low. They are very easy to handle for bikes in the 700 to 800 pound range.
Try to find someplace that will let you road test it. If picking it up off the kickstand feels like to much for you, maybe you should not get it. Honestly I can get either of my bikes off the kickstand with just my lower body, but I am a horse!! Lol

That said, if the roadie or strat feels like too much, try to find a vstar 1300. They are noticeably lighter & they have a great power band.

Especially if you do the pipes, airbox & send the ecu to Ivan & have him reflash it for performance. I had him reflash the ecu on my wife's 2015 vstar 1300 after doing the pipes & airbox & I don't think my Roadie has a thing on it power wise now!!

The vstar 1300 deluxe has hardbags & a fairing with a gps & sat radio!! Sweet bike
Posting pics of our bikes

Attachments

21 - 22 of 22 Posts