Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a 3 week 10,000Km trip from Toronto to Vancouver and back, awesome trip! considering switching to fairing from windshield, any thoughts from those that have done so? Also found out my speedo was out by up to 10 kph. Fellow riders were wondering why I was driving so slow, anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just finished a 3 week 10,000Km trip from Toronto to Vancouver and back, awesome trip! considering switching to fairing from windshield, any thoughts from those that have done so? Also found out my speedo was out by up to 10 kph. Fellow riders were wondering why I was driving so slow, anyone had this problem?
I went from a tall National Cycle shield (Switchblade) to a Stealth Fairing and I love the fairing. Just did around 1200 - 1300 miles a couple of weekends ago with the fairing and didn't notice any wind fatigue. I'm using the 5" screen that came with the fairing and that works for me but I'm only 5'6". It's a nice compromise between a shield and going without any wind protection. Looks better in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
6,019 Posts
I went from a windshield to a fairing with a 12' windshield and have never looked back. I love the look and redirected air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
which bike do you have?

its hard to make a bike like a classic cruiser very aerodynamic without compromising its appearance.

I have been considering getting a bike that is designed for highway touring specifically, and keeping my Vstar for everything else.

EDIT: just looked at your garage photo - your 1300 looks great with the WS on it now, and looks like you have the Memphis trigger lock quick release, so you can make it look even better in about 10 seconds when you want to. that is something to consider, can you use a quick release on a fairing?

I know bikes like the Goldwing have the fairing attached to the frame for the best stability, and it does not come off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, KCW makes a good point:

"its hard to make a bike like a classic cruiser very aerodynamic without compromising its appearance."

I had a fixed fairing, windjammer on my 750K 37 years ago, I recall that it made the bike so much more aerdynamic!

I have all winter to think about this, maybe a touring bike will be best for me? Also next plan is Canada's east coast, wind and rain are a plenty!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Lots of wind down here, treb (especially when the sun shines), but not so much rain this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts