Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my two of my brothers and I are doing a bike trip for May 30 - June 3. I'll start in the Norfolk area of area, most likely head to the starting point Wednesday night the 30th after work. We will meet up in Front Royal, VA. Then Thursday morning head southwest on the Skyline Dr & Blue Ridge Parkway to southwest NC and then return heading northeast. My estimate on the mileage is somewhere around 1,400 in 5 days. The attached had a rough outline of where we will be traveling in. We have lodging already book on Friday June 1st in Robbinsville, NC. Not really sure where I/we will be staying the other nights. We are still in the planning stages.

As far as gear goes. I am planning on taking as little as possible. Besides changes of clothes, (which will be minimal). What are essentials I should take?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
This guy has a few good basics

Also saw a new video from this guy, where he had a different tire plug kit that was a lot more easily packed, the DynaPlug I think.

This guy...I want to see the RV he is calling a motorcycle

Hopefully this gives some ideas at least.
Sorry I couldn't offer up any personal advice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I did a very similar trip with my brother about 5 years ago. Started in Front Royal and finished in South Carolina. I've done trips packed out and I've done the minimalist trips which I seem to enjoy more especially if I'm staying in hotels vs. camping. Besides riding gear, a change or two of clothes, toiletries, small first aid kit, minimal tool kit/tire repair kit, flashlight, and I'm good to go. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
It really just depends on what you know, and what you can do, vs take to a shop. You will have a lot of shops that can fix anything that goes wrong.

If you want a good basic toolkit, atleast for my 950, would be 4, 5, 6, 8 mm hex bits, 8, 10, 12, 17mm sockets, philips, spare keys, first aid kit, small jumper cables, and/or jump starter, tire plug kit (I have been looking at these mushroom kits lately), maybe a tire pump, water.

The toolkits parts only matter if you know or someone in the group knows how to work on stuff and troubleshoot. Or you get lucky and someone stops to help that knows.

Clothing you have to think carefully about. How often you change, how many different types of clothes will you need. What if you get wet. How often will you wash.

And this day and age, a good quality usb battery pack, anything I need to charge, throw it in the bag and let it charge while you ride. Then recharge the battery pack while you sleep.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. If you can slit the tool load between the three of you. That way it keeps the weight down on all bikes. I would add a pair of light weight tennis shoes. Last month my wife and I went on a three day trip. I ride in boots and it was nice at the end of the day to get them off, I hate going barefoot. You know it's required to take pictures and post.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
How many miles are on your bike, and what is the likelihood that something will break in the next 1400 miles that you could fix with tools that you bring with you?

What is the standard procedure if a MC breaks down and you call a shop to come get you? Do they show up with a truck with a low trailer, a tow truck rigged for motorcycles, a panel van?

I look at it this way, if I have a problem even 2 miles from my house, I'm not pushing my MC back, I'm not towing it home with a car and a rope - I'm getting a trailer or Enterprise van, or calling someone I know with a suitable vehicle.

That may happen at some point in the next 80,000 miles that I ride, and it might happen anywhere. If it happens on a road trip and you need to get the bike hauled to a random bike shop, over the life of the bike its not really that big of an expense, when you average it in to the total cost of ownership.

In the tool kit space under my seat I have the factory snap-off tool kit, $20, a couple days worth my meds, Advil and Dayquil, antacid, band aids and Neosporin, spare headlight bulb some paper towels, and there might be some granola bars left over from last July. I keep a AAA LED flashlight in my jacket pocket... and I think that's about it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got a small set of sockets/wrench. A short flathead and Philip screwdriver. Electrical tape, some meds, plug kit, and a set of Allen wrenches and some fuses. I have a fork bag I keep that in and my toolkit space under my seat I keep my rain gear in. I feel like if I can't fix my problem with those tools I am going to need some type of tow service. I wouldn't go super crazy with the tools unless you just have ample space. Also, I don't see the need to carry a flashlight when everyone's phone should have one on it. The spare headlight bulb is a good idea though. I am going to add that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like all the points of views. Thank you all. Keep them coming.

And yes. There will be pictures. If I remember. I love "the moment" too much, sometimes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but bring plenty of drinking water. Staying hydrated is very important and often overlooked on road trips.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Staying hydrated includes keeping the wind off your body.

If you are not riding with a windshield or fairing you need to wear a windbreaker layer or a leather jacket to keep the air flow from stripping the moisture off your body all day long.

One of the things I have noticed, when I ride for several hours I get hoarse. I dont know if that is symptom of being dehydrated, or if its from the wind on my throat, but it has happened several times.

That never happened when I use to go sailing (out in the wind) all day, so I think its dehydration.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the bike in the shop last month to check things out before purchasing. So I am hoping Big Bertha is in good shape for the ride.

Hydration ... I have a drink holder. Just need to drill a hole a water bottle cap so I can insert a straw. To have a drink while in motion.

Have rain gear.

Tools ... I have the tool kit the bike originally came with. This reminds me.... I need to check the tire pressure before riding her tomorrow. (Supposed to be 72 tomorrow evening.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts