Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an aftermarket speedo on their 1600 Roadie?
Used ones are very hard to find, even 1700 instruments seem to be gone.
Autometer makes a 5 inch GPS but the cavity in the tank isn't deep enough.
Mine has been repaired a few times already, time to retire it

Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
Did a quick search and came up empty. That's a bummer. So, sounds like a project for you. 馃 Cut bottom of cavity out. Make some sides to drop bottom. Weld up. Put new speedometer in. Oh, don't forget to remove fuel and rinse tank before welding. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #3
Did a quick search and came up empty. That's a bummer. So, sounds like a project for you. 馃 Cut bottom of cavity out. Make some sides to drop bottom. Weld up. Put new speedometer in. Oh, don't forget to remove fuel and rinse tank before welding. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
[/QUOTE
There's a couple speedo shops that I've used over the years that may be able to replace the stepper motor and freshen it up some. Plus l have a buddy in Tifton Ga that has a huge M/C junkyard, calling him in the morning to see if he has any.
The Autometer 5" would go in pretty easy, the cavity floor could be pushed down with a hammer as it only needs a few mm, but the wife says no 500$ speedo.
They make a non GPS unit but I need to figure out what kind of signal the stock speedo uses ( sine or square )
And pulse count per mile.

[/QUOTE
There's a couple speedo shops that I've used over the years that may be able to replace the stepper motor and freshen it up some. Plus l have a buddy in Tifton Ga that has a huge M/C junkyard, calling him in the morning to see if he has any.
The Autometer 5" would go in pretty easy, the cavity floor could be pushed down with a hammer as it only needs a few mm, but the wife says no 500$ speedo.
They make a non GPS unit but I need to figure out what kind of signal the stock speedo uses ( sine or square )
And pulse count per mile.

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #9
Well.....
No used speedo's, called 10 or so junkyards...none...1600 or 1700.
Spoke to three rebuilders, they said maybe they could deal with it, but none were confident it could be fixed.
Now trying to convince my wife l have to get the Autometer 5" GPS.
Not going well.

Here's some pointers, :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Start of like this:

Sweetie, I've been looking at a few ways to save money. You know my speedometer is out and have no way to track mileage. I need to know the mileage so I can change oil on time. If I change the oil too early and often, I'm just throwing money away. If I don't change it often enough, I could burn the motor up, that's really expensive. Also, even though I try not to speed, without a speedometer I have no idea how fast I'm going. Tickets can get expensive and then the insurance could go up. The speedometer I'm looking at has GPS and will inform me what the speed limit is and help save money by not getting a ticket. So, I figured the payout for the new speedometer would be less than a year by saving on oil changes, protecting the engine and keeping the insurance down. Should I use card 1 or card 2 to save this money?

Hey, it's worth a try. It worked for me about the first 20 years I was married, now I just get that "Look" as she mumbles something about how full of sh!t I am.

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #11
I get the look at "sweetie, l........."
Looks like the one to use is a 200647-35. Is a marine grade, is moisture resistant and UV stable. Found one for 338$, but it's still going over like a fart in a spacesuit.馃お

Registered
While I understand your problem with the wife you can get around some of it using a gps speedometer on your phone. I used one to check the accuracy of my speedometer on my bike and autos.

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #13
While I understand your problem with the wife you can get around some of it using a gps speedometer on your phone. I used one to check the accuracy of my speedometer on my bike and autos.
I have a nice app on my phone that does that, l just don't like looking down and seeing an inop instrument.
It's more about having a machine that works as it should.

Registered
Be interested to see what it looks like when it's in and if any issues with fitment. Guessing more of us will be having the issue with our older bike in time to come! :(

Registered
99 Roadie
Discussion Starter #15
There are other instruments that will do the job but that's the one that looks like it will look proper.
Self diag and self cancelling turn signals will be lost though.
Will post pics as soon as l get my hands on one.馃憤

Self cancelling, I don't use, learned to do manually in the "old" days. For the self diagnostic, you are like me, you know when something ain't right, only a few sensors on bike, spec them and fix issue. I think you have a great project in the making.

Reactions: Jaguartech

Registered
Would want to keep the old school looks of the dials, I like the white and black of the 99 model has a nice retro feel to them. That site looks decent though but probably cost the same in postage to the UK!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, your going to have a new bike, zero miles. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts