Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I need your support with below mentioned issue.
I'm owner of XV1900 Roadliner 2005(6)

Last year I've faced with few issues
So, strange whining noise on 3rd gear finally led to complete gearbox repair. During disassembling nut of drive pulley refused to detach from the shaft. At the end dealer has cut it off. And found that splines on the pulley and shaft are damaged. Seems, some time age, maybe even in US, nut loose happened and someone just hammered pulley opposite side on the shaft and tigtened it with really huge torque. So I had to replace both, shaft and pulley. For sure 3rd gear was also replaced with a new one 1D7-17231-20-00.
But today I've noticed whining noise during decelerating and cornering on 3rd gear. Does anybody faced with whining noise already with countermeasured 3rd gear?? I'm really worry about to face with a costly repair again in the very beginning of the season.

P.S. today on the way to the office I was listening very thoroughly that sound. Frankly speaking it's audible only at +-2000 rpm. Is it normal or not?

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is my second '06 Liner--had 32k on first one and current one has over 8k--neither one has a 3rd gear whine (knock on wood). Hoping you figure this thing out, Messir.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whine

Boy, that's a tough one. Shouldn't be making noise if gear was replaced. Would assume you've checked oil level? Check with mechanic to make sure correct oil and viscosity were used? Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Stas, did you check the drive pulley for proper torque? This is easy enough to check and once done puts your mind at ease for that point at least. Like the others have mentioned, ask your mechanic what grade of oil he put in. Is the rpair you had done still under warranty? If yes bring the bike back and have them fix it. My 2 cents Canadian eh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive pulley is ok. Some whining noise could be audible only around 2000 rpm on 3rd gear which is quite strange for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
3rd gear

I had 3rd gear fail twice. the first time it failed they replaced it with the same defective type of gear. it failed again and yamaha replaced it again for free and the 2nd time they used the new and improved gear. i have had no problems since. something doesnt sound right. if you paid for this yourself they should fix it again for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts