Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into replacing friction and pressure
plates on my roadliner, probably with barnett parts. have any of you good people did it yourself? is it difficult/messy/require special skills or tools? or is it easier just take it to a shop?
i watched few videos but they are either for a different bike or start half way through the process.
i guess im looking for that “dude, you can do it!” reassurance here… :)

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
884 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, but why do they need replaced? Most of these bike go many, many, many miles on the stock clutches unless they were abused. I can't speak for the 'liner series as I have a Road Star. But typically the pressure plate becomes week on those and requires attention. But most have taken a mic and checked the discs and almost always are within spec.

I presume the process is pretty similar. If you've got the basic hand tools and know which end to get on you should be able to do it. A couple suggestions would be to go slow and take pictures along the way. On the Roadies there is a particular way the discs go in so you want to pay attention there as details are important. I'm sure someone will be along soon that's been in there and can give more specific advice. Also, see if you can source a service manual. They're not as user friendly as a YouTube video as they make some assumptions (in my opinion) that you're a certified tech. But they will have important information such as the thickness of the plates, torque values for the different bolts. Some of these parts can break if over torqued, so make sure you have the appropriate tools for the job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
besides taking the clutch apart are there any indicators that the plates getting worn out?

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
884 Posts
besides taking the clutch apart are there any indicators that the plates getting worn out?
Well I've never had one worn out so can't say for certain. My guess would be either slipping (disks worn) or maybe one that grabs and won't engage smoothly (I'm basing this on a car/truck dry clutch that's been slipped and has hot spots in the flywheel).

But if it's slipping, it could also be the oil. Modern oils for cars have friction modifiers that don't play well in the wet clutch of a bike. So making sure it's the proper oil is important. I think it's the JASO MA rating.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think its slipping but my gas millage seems low (220-230km per tank) and my shift points dont match what the manual says.
for example, going 4th-5th should be around 50km/h according to the manual but i can do it only around 80km/h.
thats why i thought i might need to look at the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum but I have a complete clutch assembly with the basket if this would help. Removed from an 06 roadliner with 19 k miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts