Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 roadliner which is currently 100% stock. I have decided to upgrade the muffler with a slip-on. I'm a newbie but understand that most guys don't need a fuel pack if they are just installing a slip-on with no intake mods. Is this true for the roadliner? Will I experience more popping and backfiring due to a lean mixture? I am leaning toward the d&d brand slip-on and was hoping somebody had installed a d&d on a roadliner with no other mods. Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
With just a slip-on there should be no need for a fuel processor. You will never completely eliminate backfiring, if you listen closely even a stock exhaust backfires. It is just goes through the baffles and sounds much much quieter. If you don't plan on doing any major mods you could use a cobra fi2000 to do some minor tweeking and make the bike run a little better than factory. Factory settings are set to make the bike run generally good at any altitude. This means a bike in Denver might not have quite the power that a bike in Atlanta would have because they are both set to the same factory settings but run at very different altitudes. By adding a fuel processor to a completely stock bike it will give you the flexibility to compensate for alt. , temp ect. to some degree.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Dyno

Did you notice the link to a Dyno chart on D&D's site for the Liner? That chart was suposed to be with no other changes other than their muffler. If I remember there was a 7 hoursepower increase.

I did see a post on another site, for a couple of people the Cobra fuel controller was a little rich when only the slip on was changed.

I sometimes think people worry too much about popping.

http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2007/03/51712b.htm

The CO mod on the Line Wiki is suposed to help popping.

http://www.linerwiki.com/index.php?title=CO-Mod

Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info. Thanks Fellas. Geez, I didn't realize there were so many subtle variables to this V-twin performance tuning thing. I've got to do some more research and beef up my bank account before I proceed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the D & D slip-on on my 2008 Roadliner S, and I have no other mods. The bike still has very smooth power delivery , but does have a little more popping on deceleration than the stock muffler, but it sounds so much better with being obnoxiously loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.