Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this rolling chassis roadstar 1600 approximately 2 weeks ago in NH. As soon as I got it home I started tearing into it. I got a 7" flat fender from Deep Six Cycles out of Maine. Got a shipment from Lowbrow Customs to include a bates baja 100 5.00-16 rear tire for the rear harley wheel, and a handful of bungs and fender mounts. I yanked the front end off and cut off the steering stop to prep for the springer front end. Dropped a TC Bros univerals 3/4 axle off with a local guy to machine to fit my needs.
Got the rear fender stretched to fit the 27" rear tire ( had a 25" diameter before). Got some 1 1/4 DOM .120 wall and notched to weld in the upper and lower cross supports. Got the rear fender bungs and mounts welded up. Used a shovel down through the neck to mock up where I wanted the front wheel (top of the duct tape is where the axle will land on the 21" front wheel/tire combo). Before the rake and trail experts drop in I did some trail math and if I go 2" tree offset my trail should be around 6.8"
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Floor Tree Plant

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Can't wait to see where it ends up when you run out of money. I would be right where you started myself. I love when guys use their imagination to do stuff. I have none.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
That was my hobby in the 70' and 80's when we had to make all the fenders and stuff ourselves, hacksaw, side grinder and weld shop was a way of life back then. The jammer handbook was our parts book.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my hobby in the 70' and 80's when we had to make all the fenders and stuff ourselves, hacksaw, side grinder and weld shop was a way of life back then. The jammer handbook was our parts book.
I've never heard of the Jammer Handbook.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night I tried to work the welds with a die grinder but my air compressor had been around for a long time and wouldn't keep up. After grabbing a 20 gallon stand up kobalt it's back in business for some smoothing tonight. I have a 12ft stick of 5/8 square stock on order to build the sissy bar hoping to get the delivery call today so I can start drawing that out on the welding table. Also have an order from Dirty Builds in CT for an assortment of tabs for this project. Steady daily progress is moving things along

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last night the sissy bar put itself together and laid up on the bike for a good view. Still waiting on my mounting tabs order to come in so I can get it in a permanent location but im loving the way it turned out. It's pretty tall about 5'5" to the high side from the ground. The king and queen I build will match the angled cross support for the top of the seat back.
Wheel Photograph Tire Automotive tire Light
Automotive tire Standing Musician Musical instrument Electronic instrument
Musical instrument Musician Drum Membranophone Guitar

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,502 Posts
Are the bars on the shelf the ones going on this chop?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Just curious about the pic of you sitting on the bike…. Where you going whammpa, whammmmpa while air twisting the throttle? 😀😀. Just messin with ya! Bar looks nice. I love it when people follow through on their visions for their projects. Keep the pic’s coming!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just curious about the pic of you sitting on the bike…. Where you going whammpa, whammmmpa while air twisting the throttle? 😀😀. Just messin with ya! Bar looks nice. I love it when people follow through on their visions for their projects. Keep the pic’s coming!
No motor noises were harmed in the making of that photo. The music was too loud in the garage to hear it even if I did hahaha. Thanks for the support man, have to say this forums members are much more open to me hacking up one of these bikes into a chop than some of the other ones....

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'd be more concerned about chopping up an older or more rare bike.
Granted it is yours to do with as you see fit. But, some of the old bikes look good as is.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd be more concerned about chopping up an older or more rare bike.
Granted it is yours to do with as you see fit. But, some of the old bikes look good as is.

Ride smart. Ride often!
A lot of people are just turned off by me taking a comfy cruiser that everyone is attaching batwings, radios and hard bags to and making it rigid and 4" over jockey shift foot clutch chopper.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts