Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resently purchased a 2009 roadstar. I had a 2000 roadstar. I had a cobra exhaust and a K&N air intake on the 2000 road star. Because of the open air intake and exhaust I leaked oil out of the breather tube in the air intake. I am told by my local dealer that if I modify my exhaust and air intake in any way on my new bike it will leak oil again.

Is there any truth to this? I was told that due to the modified system on my last roadstar that access oil wasn't being burned up therefore it leaked out of the breather tube in my air intake.

Can I prevent this from happening with my new bike?.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is a crankcase breathing tube that sometimes pushes oil out due to the high pressures in the Roadstar engine. This can be made even worse when the oil level is too high. The service manual indicates 4.3 quarts of oil on a change, but Yamaha has come out and said that number is too high. 4 quarts is the appropriate amount to use. Most shops continue to use the 4.3 quart figure, which is too much.

To make matters worse, that crankcase breather routes directly into the air filter box. Which can saturate your air filter and cause problems beyond cosmetic. Many people reroute that breather to a separate aftermarket filter, which will eliminate the problem of oil in your air intake.

There are literally thousands of people who have swapped to aftermarket intakes and exhausts on their Roadstars. In fact, I would wager that more people have modifications than people who don't. As I learn more about my bike and do more of the work myself, the less confidence I have in the guys who work at my local shop. I can't do everything myself, but I'd consider finding a new shop to do my work if they told me I simply can't touch the intake and exhaust on my bike.

Here's a link to one rerouting suggestion: http://weislake.com/sig/mucker/crankcase-filter/erbman.htm

Tips including oil overfill
http://calendar.napa445.com/forum/index.php?topic=96.0

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the input and the links! This will be very helpful. Having trouble understanding what the new hose is being routed to though. I can see the ignition but what does the access oil leak into?

Anyways thanks again, I'll most likely be taking this route rather than letting the oil leak into my air intake again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts