Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked the forums and see tire recomendations for V-Stars but not specifically for Roadstars. I've got a 2009 RS with 5,500 miles on it and it looks like my factory Dunlops are about shot. I don't see wear bars but there's no tread where the rubber meets the road.

From my reading it looks like potential tires are Metzler me 880, Michelin commander II, and Dunlop 440's.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have metzler me 880 white walls. I really like them. They look super neat and they handle very well. I've only got about 1000 miles on them as I put them on in the beginning of the season, so I can't really comment on wear personally, but I chose them because I had been told very good things about them. However after 1000 miles there's not much noticeable wear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have metzler me 880 white walls. I really like them. They look super neat and they handle very well. I've only got about 1000 miles on them as I put them on in the beginning of the season, so I can't really comment on wear personally, but I chose them because I had been told very good things about them. However after 1000 miles there's not much noticeable wear.
You did not. Make a bad choice. I run mtzler 880 white walls on my roadie.i have almost 70000 on the bike and have run those tires the whole time.
I consistently get 11000 out of the rear and about 17000 from the front.

I don't do burn outs or ride too hard. But still that kind of mileage makes me happy.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
394 Posts
With all due respect, though, that's like saying cherrios is hte best cereal, you've eaten it all your life, but never tried anything different. Just because it kept you fed doesn't mean it's hte best. It is, however, a good indication that there's no underlying surprises for people to be worried about.

Before I put on my metzlers I had dunlops on my bike, and they performed quite well, but didn't seem as sticky as the metzlers. I had about 6k on them and they were looking like slicks at that point, there was no tread left.

I have 39k miles on my bike and have gone through 6-7 sets of tires. Factory was dunlop, then a few set of avon's because that's what the dealer had. I didn't like the wear of them so i switched back to dunlops until now, even though the dunlops had good life they had poor stickyness. Great for tons of highway cruising, not so great for the twisties.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With all due respect, though, that's like saying cherrios is hte best cereal, you've eaten it all your life, but never tried anything different. Just because it kept you fed doesn't mean it's hte best. It is, however, a good indication that there's no underlying surprises for people to be worried about.

Before I put on my metzlers I had dunlops on my bike, and they performed quite well, but didn't seem as sticky as the metzlers. I had about 6k on them and they were looking like slicks at that point, there was no tread left.

I have 39k miles on my bike and have gone through 6-7 sets of tires. Factory was dunlop, then a few set of avon's because that's what the dealer had. I didn't like the wear of them so i switched back to dunlops until now, even though the dunlops had good life they had poor stickyness. Great for tons of highway cruising, not so great for thMe twisties.
I never said that I hadnt tried any other tire.what I said was that I had them on the roadie the whole time. I've had many other bikes over the years and tried lots of different tires.the metzlers have given me the most bang for my buck.
I tried running dunlop 404 on a Kawasaki m.88 and got the same results as you 6or7 thousand. Miles and change them. That translates into two sets of tires a summer for me.
I put a set of me880 on the roadie in march.just changed the rear at 1/32 yesterday. 11250 miles. Ther front is still at 4/32 and most likely good for the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No disrespect taken and no apology needed.
The one big draw back to the metzlers tire is that the white walls are not self cleaning.:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Once they're clean, coat them with a thin layer of vegi oil, they stay clean 3x as long, and they're much easier to clean them the next time. These are my first whitewalls, because I was afraid of the constant cleaning and time commitment, so I did quite a bit of research before making the leap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been running white walls since 2006 and have never heard of that.
.im going to try it !

There you have disproved that. Ol statement about an old dog and new tricks.

Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sure thing. Keeps the brake dust and other crap from sticking to them, and the rear tire with bags on is a pita to get to, so I'd rather not do it more than necessary. But my whole bike is a mess right now and in need of serious cleaning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am going to do that veg oil thing this after noon.

When ever I clean the. Bike I put it on a portable lift so I can roll the tires. It's still a pain though.

When I gott home a couple of weeks ago from a 22day run you couldn't even tell the beast had white walls or chrome either.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, I have a motorcycle jack, that's how I do it. I can't imagine doing it without a lift, that would be a nightmare...

I'd love a 22day run, the most I get is 3 days when the kids are with their mother...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I'm an old fart and have consequently retired.my youngest kid is 38.
My wife loves to see me go(when I'm home I do stuff like rearrange her cupboards and thus insure her approval for a long ride)

My last little jaunt was the perimeter of the USA. Highway 2 across the top 101 down the west coast and so on back to mich

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, I'm 28, with 8 and 9 years old that live with me and a 9-5 m-f job, so I haven't earned that privilege yet. Still, I do manage to get around 3-5k miles per season. I've been trying to hit the dragon for hte past 2 years and haven't gotten there, but I'll be over wildwood, nj for beerfest in september, also a bike and classic car show that weekend. It's a good 150mi and a great weekend.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Must check out the Exedra MAX

If you still looking at tires. I'll suggest you take a good look at the Exedra MAX.

For me, best tire I ever had. Tracks really well, REALLY responsive, ignores grooves and imperfections in the road, heck it even looks good on the bike.

I had both front and back done a couple months ago, since it is a new model tire, only came out a little over a year ago, there is no way to know how long it will last, all I know, if I can get 12k out of them I will be happy and if more happier and if not, then at least I can say it was a fun ride cause these tires amaze me.
Plus they make an exact fit for my bike Vstar 1300 and had them delivered to my door - both tires $240. total price or you can have them delivered to a preferred installer when ordering from Motorcycle Super Store.

Again this is the EXEDRA MAX BIAS TIRE.

Dont confuse it with the plain Exedra tire. The MAX came out, according to Bridgestone as an improvement to the original Exedra, says its all the good things of the original rolled into the MAX and made even better, including longer wear. We will see, I am just so impressed that I warn people to be careful the first 100 miles, so responsive I almost threw myself off the bike when I was leaving the parking lot after having them installed. I was doing "S" shaped turns and wow! I also can lean the bike more then ever entering interstates etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Excedra.tire

Fat Jay,
I remember those days and free moments were far and few between.

But dont blink because when your eyes are closed they wil grow up and you'll miss it.

Alarm guy says excedra max is a good tire choice as well. I had a set of those once they were not. The max just excedra. I think they were on a 1981 650 maxum.I got rid of that bike because it was to quick for me. That little bike (4cyl) was so fast it was scary

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Closing the loop

I ended up buying the Michelin Commander II's. After my factory treads they took a little bit to get used to but they're fantastic. The tires have improved the handling of the bike so much it's hard to believe. I live in Colorado and ride the mountains a lot. These tires are great for the twisties.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Metz 880 are just as good as anything out there. I have 10,000 on the rear of mine and i can get 2,000 more before a new one. Good on acc. and twisties. my 02 cents. ride and be safe:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm coming late to the party, but I too have become a Metzler ME880 fan. I had a 2002 V-Star 1100 for a long time, and really liked Kenda's for handling and while the mileage was better than Dunlops, they weren't fantastic. They were MUCH stickier though. Hated Dunlops. That said, when I bought my 2005 RS Midnight with about 13k on it, I soon needed to replace the Dunlops and a friend recommended Metzlers. Now after six months and 4k miles, I see no appreciable wear, no bumps, no wobble, and they love the crooked stuff. Yep, I'm a fan!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts