Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I really frustrared with my rodstar
6 years ago i have a really but vibration on the handle bar at high RPMs ,it numb my hands,i took it to the mechanic and he said that it was internal engine problem pull everyting apart and didnt find anything wrong ,he was $4k to put vething back togheter so I said screw it . I took my bike in pieces back to my garage
I bought a used engine ,1700 06 10k miles
But I didnt the time to put the bike together afte 6 years last fall i decide to work on it hard i finished it last weekend
Cranked right up some tunning to the mikuni carb and i was back in bussiness, but after some final details i took her for a longer test ride and guess what
The vibration still on , so I never was the f%$#@ engine
It is something else . PLEASE HELP ME
Im going to sell it anyway but i hatr to sell somrething that is not working proprely

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Oh wow - that's discouraging! Sorry to hear it. Maybe rather obvious but have you checked the front wheel for balance?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
Did you confirm all welds on motor mounts were good? A crack weld will allow engine to send harmonics through frame and it's being felt at the bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wow - that's discouraging! Sorry to hear it. Maybe rather obvious but have you checked the front wheel for balance?
Thats going to be my next but when im on 80 mph i hold the cñutch and vibration goes away if it was the tire the vibration stay
Did you confirm all welds on motor mounts were good? A crack weld will allow engine to send harmonics through frame and it's being felt at the bars.
Well i mount the other engine myself and i didnt notice any broken weld , i torque every bolt but i going to check for broke frame points,that is a good point

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
Another question, when you changed bars, did you go with solid mounts, stock rubber or poly? I've had handlebar bushings wear, bolts not torqued correctly and bars would have a harmonics at certain times as they were resting on triple tree. Try torquing bars and see if that helps at all, it's a free test.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Consider some weighted bar ends. I had the same problem with my old Honda and a pair of weighted ends solved the problem permanently. Found out that this exists quite a bit with some aftermarket handlebars. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
509 Posts
I can't help you with the issue at hand but...

WOW! I love the look of your bike!! I hope you get her running right and maybe have a change of heart over selling her...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Yamaha's do vibrate at higher speeds, Bar weights usually solve that. They just don't have enough gears unless it is an Eluder or SVTC.

·
Super Moderator
3,625 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is a really long shot, but I recall someone on the clinic site talking about mounting the exhaust. Something to the extent of working from front to back sequentially tightening things a little at a time. Seems that a bike he'd picked up had the exhaust torqued down and things may not have been in perfect alignment. It caused an enhanced vibration to the bike.

Like I said, long shot but it was something that resolved for that owner.

·
Super Moderator
8,015 Posts
Ditto on the weighted bar ends, my RoadStar did the same thing until I put heavier grips on the bars.
Be a shame to sell such a great looking bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Here is a possible dumb question... Have you tried adjusting the angle of the handle bars?
I ride at 80+ at times and no vibration. Then again my bike is stock. Except for the pipes and a new ignition module.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here is a possible dumb question... Have you tried adjusting the angle of the handle bars?
I ride at 80+ at times and no vibration. Then again my bike is stock. Except for the pipes and a new ignition module.

Ride smart. Ride often!
While I agree with what you are saying, it appears that the handlebars on his bike are one piece bars and risers. I have experienced exactly what you are describing on my Harley and was able to fix with an adjustment.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have stock rubber mounted bars and when sitting still idling they dance around a bit, nothing like some of the Harleys I've seen though. Once I get underway all that disappears, up through 85 mph or so there is no noticeable vibration. I see that your bars are not stock so not sure how they are mounted. Do they have any kind of vibration dampening technology built into their mounting system? I don't think my bike would be very comfortable without the rubber mounting. Those big jugs containing LARGE pistons rotating on a crankshaft have no choice but to create some energetic impulses, it is the nature of the big twin beasts, but I think Yamaha did a good job taming those impulses with their stock components. IMHO. Hope you find something you can live with.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had a 1700 and was buzzy on highway also. You get to a certain speed and it goes away.
I don't think those engines have counterbalancers.

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,369 Posts
Consider some weighted bar ends. I had the same problem with my old Honda and a pair of weighted ends solved the problem permanently. Found out that this exists quite a bit with some aftermarket handlebars. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
I thought roadstars came from the factory with weighted bar ends, i know my 2006 did

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,369 Posts
When i put vstar 650 bars onto the roadstar i needed to drill the spot welds holding threaded lugs inside the roadstar bars so i would be able use the weights, i always wondered if those weights could still be used on aftermarket grips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts