Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nearly every year, someone or some group gets elected into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame over tons of more deserving people. half the people/groups inducted i've never even heard of. since i'm not a rock historian, i'm not discrediting anyone simply because of that, but there are clearly some in the Hall who are way less deserving than the tons of people who keep getting passed over year after year. i decided to research some of these people and think most of them are just in because of the time period they performed, and their 'influence' on the rock genre and other groups is overrated. here's a list of the most 'questionable' members currently in the Hall since its inception in 1986:

Louis Jordan
The Ink Spots
The Soul Stirrers
Dave Bartholomew
The Orioles
Pete Seeger
Mahalia Jackson
Charles Brown
The Moonglows
ABBA (eckgh. i don't care how many records they sold. boot them out)
Donna Summer

there's several more whose enshrinement should be questioned, but i consider these to be the most objectionable. especially when you consider the following performers keep getting snubbed:

Deep Purple
Stevie Ray Vaughan
KISS
Chicago
Iggy Pop
America
Blue Oyster Cult
George Thorogood
Journey
Lou Reed
Moody Blues
Peter Gabriel
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Styx
The Doobie Brothers (holy crap, are you kidding me? The Allman Brothers band, which is like THE EXACT SAME as Doobie except probably less popular and successful, got selected in 1995. is it possible the Hall just thought they were the same group and that's why they've been overlooked?)
Yes

feel free to add to this list as you see fit, but i think these performers, those enshrined and those still waiting, should all be on the opposite side for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It seemed back when it was started that it was a legitimate thing. Bands and people were recognized for doing great things for rock and roll, now it just seems like a popularity contest.

Nirvana is a great band who have influenced a generation, they too are being inducted this year. But do they deserve to be inducted before SRV or Lou Reed? I personally don't think so. Don't get me wrong though, Nirvana and all its members are phucking awesome!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cheap Trick getting snubbed does it for me. They just "want you to want" them. Friggin' "Dream Police" is what the HoF is. Budokan I tell ya'. Straight up Budokan.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Folks show their age on this one:) To me, there are many bands from the 50's-60's that should be enshrined for sure that never got a smell:( Just shows the "different strokes for different folks" thing, huh? Many of my favorites are either dead or too damn old to do it anymore, but some hang on(Stones, ect).

bevo, no ****, you really got a problem with Donna Summer?:eek:;)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
FYI KISS and Peter Gabriel are both being inducted this year.

It's about f**king time! I do think that getting into the RNRHOF is mostly political.

I will have to disagree with you bevo about Pete Seeger. He was a BIG influence on a lot of the groups that are being snubbed now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I disagree with booting Abba. They were a huge influence to a more worldwide culture and sold around 380 MILLION albums. America didn't take to them the same way Europe did, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a spot. It's hard enough to kiss the booty required to get in. Let em stay. Maybe Styx can use it as a selling point to help their case out.

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to disagree with you bevo about Pete Seeger. He was a BIG influence on a lot of the groups that are being snubbed now.
i was on the fence about him. but he seemed to fit in the same mold as several other artists who seemed to just be getting in based on their 'influence' rather than the work they actually did themselves. to me, this is like inducting the performer's music teacher rather than the performer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never actually taken the time to look through the list of inductees before today. The ones that stand out to me as being screwed are Bad Company, Jethro Tull, and King Crimson. Especially, if you're trying credit influence on other acts, how in the hell do you leave out King Crimson?!

·
Registered
86 Posts
artists who seemed to just be getting in based on their 'influence' rather than the work they actually did themselves.
The HOF is all about influence and the impact specific people or groups have on the time period. Take the Ink Spots for instance, they are in the influence category. That band started to break down the racial barriers in the south at a time when it was very, very taboo for a black group to be playing in white clubs. Without them we never would have The Orioles or The Domino's.

to me, this is like inducting the performer's music teacher rather than the performer.
I have been playing music for over 3/4 of my life and if it wasn't for every single music teacher I had, I never would have stuck with it. Music teachers are a huge influence to a good majority of musicians and they should be recognized for there contribution. For if it wasn't for the teachers, these people may not have even been inducted to the HOF.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jethro Tull? u kidding? their winning a grammy over Metallica is one of the most bewildering moments in rock history.
To be fair, that says a hell of a lot more about the Grammys than Tull, though. No one with a brain would've ever classified Jethro Tull as Heavy Metal or Hard Rock. Hell, even Ian Anderson made a smartass remark along the lines of "Well, we do sometimes play our mandolins loudly."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tull deserves to be in. True the Grammy thing was a little weird, but that's not Tull's fault, it's hopeless Grammy voters' fault. They were as innovative as anyone back in the day before corporate rock made that impossible.

To me, however, the hall has no credibility without the Moody Blues.

Agree about Abba too. When you put a group like that in, you cease to be a "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame and become instead a pop hall of fame.

And where is Paul Revere and the Raiders....!?! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have any of you ever been to the Hall? I am from the west side of Cleveland I have moved south but do visit every year. Once about 5 years ago my In Laws went with us and they wanted to go to the hall. Needless to say most of these bands already have stuff in the hall or are mentioned in displays. While they are not officially in, their significance is being honored. Getting inducted is just for show and I agree they put in quite a few over others more deserving, if you actually go to the hall those guys are already there.

BTW it is way over priced but for a music lover it is really cool, As an example I am a huge Alice in Chains fan. They have the claymation figures used in the video for the "I stay away" video, and a whole back drop about AiC.

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting inducted is just for show and I agree they put in quite a few over others more deserving, if you actually go to the hall those guys are already there.
i see your point...but...the bat used by Mark McGwire to break Roger Maris' home run record is in the baseball HOF. and the only way Mark can see it is if he buys a ticket. so there is a difference between having something of yours in, and actually being inducted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts