Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i've finally made the jump to owning a bike... hasn't even been delivered yet.. a 2000 vstar 650 with hard krome slash cuts! It sounds great.
looking forward to learning with everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One day when I can afford a new bike i hope to have a great dealer experience! :)
My bike is coming next Friday and I cant wait to get it in my garage, even though I won't be able to do anything with it for a number of weeks still.
How long have you been riding?

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I know that feeling well. And I'll bet you'll be spending a lot of time in the saddle while its in your garage - probably even making some engine sounds while leaning the bike side-to-side :)

I started riding when I was 7 and I'm 40 now so it's been a while. BUT, I was off the bike for quite a while from my mid 20s until August 26th last summer when a 2006 vstar 1100 classic fell in my lap. I rode it every day for 3 months until it was too cold, but still got several rides in during December and several more this month already (January was too harsh).

During that same time, I purchased a 2004 BMW R1150 RT-P (police edition) which I currently have stored at my summer place in Minnesota. I'm working on the purchase of a Roadliner/Stratoliner right now and hoping one of the two deals going will pan out.

Don't forget to post pics on e you have the bike next week!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you were 7?? wow. my daughter is 7 and still can't ride her bike (guess that's kinda my fault!)
I'll definitely post a few pics when it gets here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome rookie from Toronto. I was a rookie last fall but I have over a 1000 miles now. I hope you get some good weather soon to fire that baby up in the driveway. You can at least get used to the throttle and brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I have twin boys that are 8 and they are dying to ride. I've been watching Craigslist all winter for deals on dirt bikes. They have really great features for kids like electric start, clutch less shifting, and throttle lock (so they can't go more than about 10mph). I also saw an option for a remote kill (in case they are headed for the cliff, busy roadway, or whatever) but that was on a new bike and I'm looking for used so I won't care as much when they break the plastic :)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
OK you young guns, enough with the kid chatter ;). I was 13 when I started and took a very very long break then got my 1100. My kids are 24 and 23 and they both don't ride :(.

Now for the serious stuff. Welcome to the gang Kris. As you can see, we like to have a bit of fun with the members. Speaking of fun; when are you guys going to call in the army to shovel the streets? ;)

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up (in 7 to 8 weeks )

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I'm definitely a young gun, but maybe I should have added that I also have a 12 y/o daughter who loves the bike (but not when mom is around) and also is the only 2up rider I've had on my current bike (that ride included me shouting over the pipes "don't tell mom" much like the Subaru commercials). She is the reason I'm looking at a Liner - she would really like to take some long 2up trips.

I also have a 25 y/o daughter who doesn't ride, but sorta likes the idea. And yes, all children with the same wife :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome to the fold. I'm a rookie too. Got first bike back back end of last summer. To date I've got over 3,500 miles on my Liner.
And both my kids,13 & 7, and my sisterinlaw's kids, 5 to 13, love to ride. I only take them on short rides. I enjoy 2up rides. I'm starting to have twitches waiting for the weather to break here in the southeast US. We get a few days now & then that keep me from DTs :)

Keep it shiny side up & post pics

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome from another GTA rider!:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the bike owners club. Consider on taking a training coarse and hey it will help a little with the insurance and I hope you looked into that because they abuse the new riders hard :( I started riding a CT70 around the age of 9-10 and been on 2 wheels ever since.
I am about 1.5 hrs from the GTA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts