Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider, just bought a sweet 09 VStar 950 a couple months ago. I'm right at 1200 miles now, and I have a question about the bike maintenance. The shop I bought it from said something about brining it back in at 1300 miles for a service, however, the manual says the next one after 600 miles is at 4000 miles. I would try to do this myself, but I live in military dorms and I am without a garage. I called the store and asked, and they still confirmed I should bring it in...for some reason I', gettin' the feeling they're jacking me around.
I know very little about bike maintenance, so any help is greatly appreciated.:)

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
after only 100 miles? Sounds like a scam to me. Did they quote a cost and details on what is going to be "serviced"? Or it's some fine print in the warranty terms.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Take it back to them.;) This is a normal service. They will change out your break-in Oil and make all adjustments to the bike. You don't have to be exactly on those miles:cool:. 600miles is just average. I have not read on the forums of any bikes that needed the adjustments so you may just change the oil and be just fine too :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife's 950 is up for it's first service also and I was quoted a price between $190.00 and $250.00 with labor, parts, and tax. I live in S/E Missouri and this seemed kind of high for just an oil change and a walkaround tightening any loose fasteners. The Svc Manager just said it could be two or three hours of labor at $55.00 an hour. Does this sound normal to anybody. I ride an 09 Vulcan (sorry guys) and my initial service was $150.00 and regular oil changes after that were $80.00.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
For $80.00 (less actually) I do my own oil change and use synthetic oil.

And...that "950 is a girls bike" comment was hardly even noticeable LOL!

In the N.E. the typical labor rate is $75-$80/hr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My mistake guys...what I should have said was that I already brought it in for the 600 mile service WHEN I hit the 600 mile mark about a month ago . They told me to have it brought it again around 1300 miles. I'm just wondering if it is necessary to ensure the bike lasts for as long as possible.
I appreciate all the replies so far.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
No, Sugar Bear would not @ 1300 if it already had the 600. Being old school also don't believe at all, and don't do what the book says on an 1100 "oil change @4000, then oil and filter @ 8000, NEVER just change oil only w/o filter too, bad advice Sugar Bear figures, always keeping in mind Yamaha sells new cycles:rolleyes: Take care of your bike, it will take care of you:)

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
telling you to bring it in at 1300 is ****ing dumb. DO NOT TAKE IT BACK AT 1300 MILES. if you called them and they confirmed it, either they are completely mistaken, you are mistaken, there is some unknown circumstance necessitating this 1300 mile oil change we don't know about, or they are just trying to take your money. i really don't see any other scenario out there. just stick to the manual as Yamaha has directed and your bike will thank you: 4,000 mile oil change, 8,000 mile oil change, etc. and i would recommend taking it to a different shop in the future if they are trying to swindle you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a 950T and after the 600 mile service, I didn't take it in again untill 4000 miles. And that's what it says to do in the manual.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
telling you to bring it in at 1300 is ****ing dumb. DO NOT TAKE IT BACK AT 1300 MILES. if you called them and they confirmed it, either they are completely mistaken, you are mistaken, there is some unknown circumstance necessitating this 1300 mile oil change we don't know about, or they are just trying to take your money. i really don't see any other scenario out there. just stick to the manual as Yamaha has directed and your bike will thank you: 4,000 mile oil change, 8,000 mile oil change, etc. and i would recommend taking it to a different shop in the future if they are trying to swindle you.
bevo, my friend, Sugar Bear wonders if you go through the 4000 as the book says with oil only? No filter? Wonder if you treat you car/truck that way? The small engines of air cooled take a lot of abuse. This is as we were sittin around drinkin a beer and just talkin, as Seger says" call me a relic call me what you will, say I'm old fashioned, say I'm over the hill" I am talkin bout 1100 here and my book. From the old world of Sugar Bear, 8000 before filter is not wise. Maybe I keep my stuff too long to be in touch with you younger folks. As I have posted before, Yamaha is in the business of sellin new bikes(imho) ;) Ride safe.

·
Registered
821 Posts
bevo, my friend, Sugar Bear wonders if you go through the 4000 as the book says with oil only? No filter? Wonder if you treat you car/truck that way? The small engines of air cooled take a lot of abuse. This is as we were sittin around drinkin a beer and just talkin, as Seger says" call me a relic call me what you will, say I'm old fashioned, say I'm over the hill" I am talkin bout 1100 here and my book. From the old world of Sugar Bear, 8000 before filter is not wise. Maybe I keep my stuff too long to be in touch with you younger folks. As I have posted before, Yamaha is in the business of sellin new bikes(imho) ;) Ride safe.
Sugar Bear, I have to say no filter change at 4000 miles really threw me. I brought the bike home from the oil change and got down on my knees to look at the filter, and it still had the same date written on it from the 600 mile change. I was like, WTF they forgot to change the filter. I was gonna get right on the phone and call them, but I looked in the manual first and there it was, no filter change at 4000 miles. Now I didn't feel good about that, but I do have a 5 year warranty on the bike, 1 year standard, and 4 years more Y.E.S. warranty that I purchased. So I guess I just justified it by thinking if anything does go wrong Yamaha is responsible for it. But it still aint right, and from now on I'm gonna insist on a filter change, and at some point I plan to start changing oil and filter myself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Surgar Bear, writing in the third person is really not cute!! If you keep doing it, I might just get my wife, the English teacher, to start grading you grammar and spelling.

People, change your own oil, it is not that hard. I have never taken any of my motorcycles in for maintenance since 1975. I do it myself, most of it is not that hard.

The only thing I have done that I would not recommend the average person should not do is adjusting the valves on a Shim Under Bucket engine, that requires removing the camshaft. I don't think any of the Stars are shim under bucket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with Sugar Bear I would never change the oil without changing the filter, I don't care what the book says. I'm 65 years old and I keep cars and trucks over 20 years without major engine trouble and I do all my own repairs and oil changes.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Surgar Bear, writing in the third person is really not cute!! If you keep doing it, I might just get my wife, the English teacher, to start grading you grammar and spelling.

People, change your own oil, it is not that hard. I have never taken any of my motorcycles in for maintenance since 1975. I do it myself, most of it is not that hard.

The only thing I have done that I would not recommend the average person should not do is adjusting the valves on a Shim Under Bucket engine, that requires removing the camshaft. I don't think any of the Stars are shim under bucket.
She would no doubt give ol Sugar Bear purty bad grades d- or f? Have fun, Ride safe :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sugar Bear, I worked as a mechanic for 15 years in another life. lol We used to say, you're better off to change the filter and leave the old oil in rather than change the oil and leave the old filter in. My advice, like you, is if you're going to change the oil, then change the filter.

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
the base should have a hobby shop that is ready, willing and able to help you with the maint. That's what they are there for.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
i just meant to follow the maintenance schedule put forth by Yamaha. of course change the oil filter, as well as check belt/chain tension, valve adjustments, etc that are required with routine maintenance. but the Yamaha book does say that the oil filter on a v star 950 needs to only be replaced ever 8K miles. of course it doesn't hurt anything to change it every 4K miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts