Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 RSTD's clutch has started to slip on me. It's only got 27k miles on it and I thought that to be a bit premature. Is this a common issue with these bikes? I don't ride it hard, no trailer pulling or anything that might make it work harder than it should.
Is there anything I can do for an upgrade aside from replacing the clutch friction discs and spring? Would a spring from another model be an option....say maybe from an earlier model VMax?...Just a thought because I used to own a Kaw Vulcan 1500 and found out a spring from a Mean Streak to be more "heavy duty"
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've had the bike since Feb this year, and have put about 7k miles on it. I've changed the oil 3 times in that time frame, and incidentally I used Yamalube 15-50 full synthetic this time. Previously I used Valvoline 20-50 full synthetic (motorcycle specific) and had no slippage problems. I notice it just yesterday start to slip (mainly in 5th gear). Don't know about the previous owner's maintenance (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
867 Posts
7k and 3 oil changes in 6 months ??? That's overkill...There is such a thing as changing it too often but I won't get into specifics.

I would dump it and go with something else. Actually surprised you were using 20-50 pretty sure 10 or 20-40 was recommended ? Could be wrong. Probably could be related. Not sure though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know it seems like overkill, I guess I',m kinda anal that way. The manual states to use either 10w40 or 20w40....dealer never heard of 20w40 when I asked him about it. Also, I figured because it gets pretty darn hot here in the Phoenix area that maybe changing it more often would be better...oh well, still learning about this particular bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried changing the fluid in the clutch assist reservoir ? A friend with and 06 RSTD had the same thing happen. Thought the clutch was slipping. We changed the fluid and it was perfect then.. Look at it in your sight glass, if it a lot darker than the brake reservoir then that could well be your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't tried that yet, but will give it a shot....fluid does look a bit dark. Also, switching to 10w40 oil seemed to help quite a bit.
Thanks for the replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts