Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Royal Star Tour Classic turn signals not working. Checked fuse, replaced flasher relay and switch unit. Marker lights operational but no turn signals. At my wits end....

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
@lesblank @Boog @Yamaha Pat @faffi

Gents, I have tagged you in this post because Rik is a friend of one my brothers. AND you guys are pretty smart when it comes to bikes. Please tag or ask others.

Talking with Rick, he has gone thru the 96 royal star's service manual on troubleshooting turn signal not working. And by all the accounts the signals should work.
He has cleaned all the connection points/sockets. Bulbs are good. Fuses are good. Relay is good.
The bike has electric continuity where it is supposed to. All grounds, connections are cleaned and seated correctly.
The switch is home to high and low beam, horn and turn signal. high/low works. Horn works. Turn signals do not.
I am drawing a blank as to what/why it is not work.

WHAT ARE WE MISSING???

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,542 Posts
The new relay may be the fault. I had that on a fuel relay when I first got the Stratoliner. To fix it, I had to use pieces from the original to make the new work.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
I would start at flasher, is he getting signal to flasher, is he getting signal out of flasher. This would answer which direction to work, either bars to flasher, or flasher to bulb. Let us know if he has signal in and out of flasher, then we can go to next step.

Product Map Rectangle Slope Font

Reactions: Scrumdown and Boog

·
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
On that I would use a test light. Simple to see. Sometimes with meter on turn signals it sweeps to quick to really catch.

Reactions: Scrumdown

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
From my brother ...
The signal fuse shown in schematic, is that an inline or the one in the fuse box. I don't trust the book.

Ride baby! Ride!

·
14,510 Posts
It's #20
Organism Font Art Parallel Pattern

This might help.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
14,510 Posts
Are you getting power to the flasher itself. One of the leads should be hot with key on and known good fuse.

·
14,510 Posts
One terminal is hot all the time. There’s another one that’s ground. Are only one terminal a ground. Trying to find the basics first. I would then check continuity on terminals coming from turn switches at flasher. With turn signal switch on, bike power turned on, one of those terminals at flasher should be hot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts