Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been trying to make my 1100 a better all around bike but I think for what I am wanting I may be barking up the wrong tree with my 1100. I found a 05 royal star venture at one of the loacal dealers been there 3 months no one is interested I could possibly trade my bike straight across for the rsv. It's an 05 60k on it. It's clean they say it runs great. I want a comfortable bike my wife and I can go on more then an hour trip without needing to get off the bike. I am ordering a seat I'm sure will help with that but I think having a taller bike will help my posture. My friend has a low mile 96 royal star his bike is nice but the thing is a snail. I'm worried this will run like his granted I don't expect it to be blazing fast like a vmax but for the engine size I would like some get up and go keep up with the Harley's I ride with. My 1100 cannot keep up and I don't want to always be the one left behind. Would this bike be a good choice? I love how reliable our brand is I don't want a harley again

·
Registered
456 Posts
Another choice you may like to consider is the V Star 1300, it will give you what your looking for enough power to keep up with the 103 HD`s more saddle room for your wife, very smooth running bike better gearing for the highways.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Roadstar all day. 1600-1700 cc/98-102ci. Purrs at 80. Fire-breathing dragon or gentle giant depending on your throttle action. Pretty much guaranteed to far exceed 100,000 miles if you keep the oil changed.

The Royal Star is a V4 but it's still only a 1300. It won't perform well alongside those Harleys because it's an entirely different beast all together. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice touring bike, but it's not going to do what you're looking for.

I suspect you already know this because you mentioned your buddy's 96 Royal Star. You should expect fairly similar performance out of a 2005. They surely haven't changed much since then, considering the 2013 models still came with cassette decks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to the responses I've hear that for example my friends 96 has 70hp and the newer ones close to 96 any truth to this. I can't find anything that confirms this online???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Test drive one, I think you'll be impressed. 98 HP from 1300 cc. It's an engine that likes to rev. Wind it up, let it run. It's not a rocket ship, but surely not a slouch. Third gear tops out at 90. Several of my Harley owner buddies have commented on my pulling away from them.

While I enjoy both my bikes. I actually like riding the Venture over the Road Star. My opinion, the RSV is quicker and more responsive than the RS. RS is more nimble and easier to handle in parking lots.

A clean, maintained '05 with only 60k miles is a good affordable bike .

·
Registered
332 Posts
RSV is quite possibly more responsive, I'll give you that. I feel like that's a major difference between operating at 2800 rpms vs 3800+ rpms at cruising speed.

I'm admittedly a little biased because I think air-cooled v-twin when I picture my ideal motorcycle. Low rpms at cruising speed was one of my major selection criteria too. It's unfair for me to try and compare things that are just different.

Agreed on the test drive thing. When I bought my most recent bike the guy offered to let me ride it straight away. That helped me establish trust in him because it clearly showed it was a reliable machine. You're making a good choice with any Star. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I might head over to that dealer next weekend see if the bike is still there kick the tires a bit besides I need to see about a new rear tire for mine and brake pads. That's kinda the only down side I have had with the 1100 seems it likes to eat pads but then most my riding is in the city as of right now. Kinda sad I only got 4k from this rear tire but kinda the name of the game. I know it's a different style machine but the one biggest issue I've had it just seems like the 1100 I have is not geared well and spins fairly high Rpms on the highway 75 but it seems like at 55 5th gear is useless kinda strange.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What brand were those tires? I pay a little extra for my preferred Michelins. Any savings from cheap tires gets eaten up by more frequent dealer installation charges for me. Maybe I'll learn how to do the installs one day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What brand were those tires? I pay a little extra for my preferred Michelins. Any savings from cheap tires gets eaten up by more frequent dealer installation charges for me. Maybe I'll learn how to do the installs one day.
The rear tire is a Dunlop 303 series it's the ones they sell that are branded for harley. I had one on my wide glide seemed ok on bike never liked the on on my vstar back end just seemed kinda loose sad it's stickier now that it's bald! I have a shinko tour master in the front now. It's got the raised hard center section for highway riding I know there a cheaper tire but I'm very impressed. I would like to get a rear tire that will last on the back would be nice to go 8k before needing a new rear tire like the original tire

·
Registered
150 Posts
SSC, as you mentioned the RSV is a higher revving bike, it's built that way. Around town with 45 mph limits third gear is fine. 40 mph in fourth is not comfortable and I rarely use 5th under 60 mph. Highway cruising, 5th gear at 85 mph is very comfortable, for both the bike and it's passengers. Hard to hear the radio though, mine has Road King mufflers and barks a bit. Need passing speed, kick it down to 4th, twist your wrist, you're in triple digits.

I average around 35 mpg. On speed managed trips, I've gotten well over 40 mpg. I've got over 8k miles on the Exedra Max rear tire. It's due for replacement soon.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SSC, as you mentioned the RSV is a higher revving bike, it's built that way. Around town with 45 mph limits third gear is fine. 40 mph in fourth is not comfortable and I rarely use 5th under 60 mph. Highway cruising, 5th gear at 85 mph is very comfortable, for both the bike and it's passengers. Hard to hear the radio though, mine has Road King mufflers and barks a bit. Need passing speed, kick it down to 4th, twist your wrist, you're in triple digits.

I average around 35 mpg. On speed managed trips, I've gotten well over 40 mpg. I've got over 8k miles on the Exedra Max rear tire. It's due for replacement soon.
How many miles can you get out of the tank? That is also one of my issues I'm the one stopping at 120 miles for fear of running out of gas I can go about 150/60 on a tank would be nice to get 200 miles before a fill up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The RSV has a 6 gallon tank and a few indicators of fuel level. A fuel gage, a low fuel warning light and an automatic mile counter that starts when the bike thinks it's on reserve.

I typically need to turn the petcock to reserve around 160 or so. The fuel gage still reads 1/8th tank and no other indicators show low fuel. I know there is over a gallon of fuel in the tank at this point. I've never seen the low fuel light on and the auto mile counter has only come on a few times. The odometer goes to zero and counts miles traveled while you are supposedly on reserve, but in fact flipped the petcock long ago.

I have gone 200 on a tank several times but feel I'm pushing it at that point. I generally fill up around 180 and need 5 gallons (+-) to fill up. Like all bikes cruising at 80+ and getting from stop light to stop light as quickly as you can, lowers mpg substantially.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like this May be a good fit. I will run up and see what kinda deal they can make me. I think my wife and I will be more comfortable on this bike. I hate to let my 1100 go but I think it's time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Buy the RSV and put her on the 1100 :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would but she don't like my bike. She liked her vulcan but never rode it so we got rid of it. Here some follow up on the tire guess I won't be riding it for a few weeks 3k on this tire

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
SCC,
I just traded a 09 V Star 1300 for a 07 RS Midnight Venture 2 months ago.. Was looking around at a used bike dealer for a Mustang seat for my lady to 'test sit' as the stock seats are bad. Didnt find one but sat on a Royal Star Midnight Venture for fun. Manager asked if I wanted to test ride it. So we did. Long story short, I bought it next day! For two up touring there is no comparison. The Venture is ALL DAY comfortable and twice as smooth. My lady cant get over how much smoother and more comfortable the RSV is compared to the V Star for her. I totaled enjoy the better fairing, cruise control and stereo. There is no comparison in riding comfort for Me.
I dont think the 103 HDs will run away from you. Solo riding, I blew one off yesterday when he was trying to cut Me off:confused: (kinda weird He tried that but oh well!). If you ride the midrange and top end of the V-4 not many V-twins will get away from you. Just the built ones.....In the lower rpms the torque of a V-twin isnt there and it IS over 1000 lbs of rider and machine.
Things that you will have to deal with that you dont know now. IT IS HEAVY! Slow speed stuff takes concentration, be very picky of parking and stopping at lights etc. takes thoughtfulness too. With a passenger you dont have much 'paddling' room and need to get feet up and rolling immediately and be stopped very smoothly. Both legs down at a stop and well braced to load passenger as you have a top heavy 880 lb machine plus the weight of your gal swinging aboard. Air preload suspension takes getting used to, but you are familiar with shaft drive from your 1100.
Otherwise this bike is a ball to ride. If you do alot of city type riding you might take that bike for a extended test ride with lots of stop and go to see if its the bike for you. But if you live in a rural area like Me they are a dream. I've put 3000 miles on mine without leaving the state. I am on it every chance I get. Down the road I will get another bike for local stuff (Indian Scout, BMW NineTNine, Yamaha Bolt) but for now the Venture is my do it all bike.
The suggestion of the V Star 1300 is a good one. Its a better more powerful version of your 1100 but with fuel injection, watercooling and belt drive. I liked my V Star 1300 but it didnt excite Me much. I was coming off a hot rod Kawasaki ZX-14 so not much would really. But I do love my RSV and am really glad I switched 1300's.
Gotta go, packing for a long weekend ride. Probably 1,200-1,400 miles. I would never consider that on the V Star......,:cool:

PS. I havent scraped anything in corners yet!!?! As a Ex-road racer that is a pleasant surprise. I scraped the V Stars boards constantly. Oh yea the RSV's floarboards are bigger and the heel/toe shifter never gets in the way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks that is outstanding info. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on this bike but of course I will have to trade mine in and now I'm kinda stuck until I can get the new tire in and mounted. I don't trust riding the bike the 30 miles away where this dealer is located my rear tire is about to pop. Ughh spend more money to spend more money lol. At least whe I trade it in I will have 2 new tires and new brakes on my v star should be a good point when I trade it in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great info posted in this thread as I am also in the process of buying a Venture. I have found a 2009 model in excellent condition but with a little over 43,000 miles on it. Should I be concerned about the mileage or is this a non-issue :confused:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts