Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really have any problem with my shifting or anything, but transitioning from a car (manual), I'm wondering if I may be shifting too early and possibly using up more gas. its particularly more difficult to judge on the vstar since we don't get the rpm gauge... I've never actually hit redline in any gear, but since bikes tend to have taller gears I feel like I might be able to get away with shifting higher.

the main reason I ask is because estimated mpg is around 70's I believe, with a 2 and a half gallon tank, but the other day I ran out of gas with only 87 miles on my trip meter from a full tank (I still had my reserve so I was okay, but it was totally unexpected).

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's possible. It's something you really have to just feel. Generally(but not always), power will fall off just before redline. I almost always short shift when putting around town, but you need to make sure you don't shift too early and chug the engine.

I don't know what the redline is for a 250, but it's around 6500 on the 650. I'd assume yours is probably around 7500 or so. Try running it up to ignition cutoff(assuming it has an electronic ignition) to get a feel for how she feels and sounds through the whole RPM range. I'd suggest doing it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Then you'll have an idea of where you should shift.

Also, assuming you don't hold out at 6k before a shift, or chug the engine real bad, shift point shouldn't make a huge difference to MPG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm new to motorcycles so I don't really know what to listen for... when doing it by feel, my car instincts kick in and I notice I only really twist the throttle to around 1/6 - 1/4 before an average shift. it doesn't really chug unless I'm down shifting, but in that situation I'm rarely on the throttle anyways, unless its a red light that turns green before I totally stop. but I just chalk that up to not paying enough attention to what gear I'm in and quickly fix it.

btw, since i posted this I've been getting around 100 miles before fill ups, I haven't used the reserve since then. but the advice is still very welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly, a V-twin really doesn't feel too different from a car. You just sort of hear the engine start to wind out as you approach redline, and you feel the change in power.

About 1/4 throttle sounds about right, assuming you're letting the bike accelerate before shifting. I know it's not much of an answer...but it really does come down to feel. The bike will let you know when your shifting early or late. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks that actually makes me feel more confident. I guess that one instance must have been something else causing the gas to run out on me so quickly... could have just been too hot or I pushed it too hard on the freeway for a long period of time or something. anyways thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
You can purchase tachs for these bikes on ebay. I have one on my 650 and it works great. Easy as L hook up.
The unit has a lithium battery and lasts a few years or more.
So no electrical to hook up, One wire connects to one of the spark plug wires you just wrap it around 5 times and zip tie it off.

It also acts as an hour meter. So you can keep track of service intervals based on hours of run time. And it converts to a Tachometer
when the engine is running. It does lag behind actual RPM just a bit
when accelerating but when a stabil cruise speed is reached and held
the numbers stay pretty constant.

These units are not expensive and very easy to mount and use.

I have some scrap plasic to make a mount for one I'll give you.
Just pay for shipping to your zip code from Apopka Florida.
If interested let me know and I'll find the ebay vendor for you.
Pics of the one on my bike are posted on the :
Stereo install with out a fairing -thread .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ im gonna pass for sure on the 250, but im planning on upgrading to a 650 as soon as the opportunity presents itself so ill keep this thread in mind if i end up in a similar situation at that point down the line.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
On the 250 only one model was made. With the 650 2 versions (Classic or Custom ) can be had.

Good luck hope you find what your looking for...;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts