Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
New to the forums
Just traded a Harley in on a 2012 roadstar. Got a great deal it was new in the crate for 7800.

Anyways I'm breaking it in and I just really want to keep it under 3000 rpms for break in.

Could someone with a tach tell me at what speed 3000 rpms is in every gear.

I know everyone has their own way and I read up on them all over the years.....I got my own way and I just like to keep it under 3 in every gear. So I would greatly appreciate a hand.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cant help you with specifics but my dealer said to keep it roughly under hiway speeds for the first few times out. Ive rebuilt a few race engines with help from a guy who did it professionally and when he fired a couple up after a rebuild you could see some blow by for a couple seconds then all was good, he said it only takes a few seconds for the piston rings to seat etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ride a Road Star. Basically it's always under 3000 rpms unless you're hammer-dogging it. Just take it easy as you're moving through the first two gears, since you shouldn't ever be cruising in them anyway.

Here are the calcs for RPMs in the cruising gears. Just use your ears to identify the RPMs in the lower gears. You'll be fine cause they're lumbering beasts.

Just keep it below 60 in 4th gear, and don't go over 70 in 5th. THAT's the hard part! :p

* 3rd gear/2200k rpm = 35mph,40mph=2,500rpm.

* 4th gear/1700rpm=35mph/1900=40mph/2100=45mph/2350ish rpm=50mph/2600rpm=55mph/2800ish rpm = 60mph.

* 5th gear/1900=50mph/2200=55mph/2400rpm=60mph/2600rpm=65mph/2800=70mph.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In the old days we broke in cars at under 55 mph. Now adays the logic seems to say that drive the vihicle as you would drive normally. If you want the vihicle to be an open road car, then drive it that way. if you want a city car, drive it that way.
I btroke in my 1100 that way. I get better tan 40 mpg in mixed travel. What else can be better?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys sorry for the late response. TY for all your replies. that calculator helps although it only goes up to R* 1600 however its probably similar. I cant wait for break in to be over.

@pangea33
Are you sure of your calculations on your 5th speed. They all seem low. I was under the impression your almost doing 90 at 3k. and at 70 it would be around 2300??

Again thanks for the answers

Robert

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not that any of the above are wrong but if you are looking for real deep Road Star info you should ask on the Roadstarclinic.com more R* knowledge over there then you can handle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
@pangea33
Are you sure of your calculations on your 5th speed. They all seem low. I was under the impression your almost doing 90 at 3k. and at 70 it would be around 2300??

Again thanks for the answers

Robert
I spend a lot of time over at Roadstarclinic.com and those numbers came from some of the more experienced members, so I took them mostly at face value. Keep in mind there are 1600cc & 1700cc displacement Roadies too. Those numbers would be based on the gearing, and it's possible that my 1600 is geared a little taller than the 1700 with more horsepower.

My personal estimations are all best guess based on my ear, and what RPMs sounded like in various vehicles with tachs I've been on. I can tell you there is a decided change once I exceed 80, and my ears tell me it's mid 3000s. I've hit 100 a few times and while there's some headroom, she's working for it. I am confident that my bike is well above 3k rpm at 90, but I'm also pushing a big windshield, tour pack, and a pretty heavy complement of chrome down the road.

Just as a sanity check, I'd keep in mind that they say to take it easy for the first "x" miles. It seems to me that running about 90% of the functional max speed of a bike, is not exactly taking it easy. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I second the recommendation to check out that other site. There are some hoops to jump through in order to post, but you'll find a wellspring of knowledgeable Roadstar enthusiasts over there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It seems to me that running about 90% of the functional max speed of a bike, is not exactly taking it easy.
3000 rpm's is no where near 90% of max speed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I spend a lot of time over at Roadstarclinic.com and those numbers came from some of the more experienced members, so I took them mostly at face value. Keep in mind there are 1600cc & 1700cc displacement Roadies too. Those numbers would be based on the gearing, and it's possible that my 1600 is geared a little taller than the 1700 with more horsepower.

My personal estimations are all best guess based on my ear, and what RPMs sounded like in various vehicles with tachs I've been on. I can tell you there is a decided change once I exceed 80, and my ears tell me it's mid 3000s. I've hit 100 a few times and while there's some headroom, she's working for it. I am confident that my bike is well above 3k rpm at 90, but I'm also pushing a big windshield, tour pack, and a pretty heavy complement of chrome down the road.

Just as a sanity check, I'd keep in mind that they say to take it easy for the first "x" miles. It seems to me that running about 90% of the functional max speed of a bike, is not exactly taking it easy. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I second the recommendation to check out that other site. There are some hoops to jump through in order to post, but you'll find a wellspring of knowledgeable Roadstar enthusiasts over there.
Pan Im just a few hours north of you in Danville VA. We should get together and make a ride of it some day. Lived in Durham for a few years in the late 80's. Went to Carrighton Jr high and would have went to Northern if I would have stayed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts