Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum so not sure if this is a thing on here, but wanted to make a build thread for my bike! I'm on other forums for my truck and there are build threads on there (so of course I have one for my truck haha), and figured I'd do the same here for the bike, so if this is not allowed I apologize and an admin please feel free to take it down or move it to the appropriate section if I'm not there.

But here it is, I recently bought a 2012 V-Star 950 with 1500 miles about 2 months ago, and I've already doubled it to 3000, she ran great until I got some water in the tank at a local station and went on a battle of changing the fuel pump, cleaning the injectors, de-rusting the tank (original owner must've let it sit for quite some time with bad fuel), and more. Ended up using carb cleaner to clean out the strainer and the pressure regulator on the fuel line and she finally runs like a champ again, so now on to modding ole Ruby. She came bone stock so the opportunities were endless to start
Current Mod list is:
Vance and Hines Exhaust
OEM Windshield
Ceramic Coating
Quantum T35 In-tank fuel pump
LED Underglow (not finished, waiting on extension wires so I can reach the front of the frame)
New Battery
LED brake light, rear turn signals, license plate lights, headlight, and switchbacks in the front turn signals

Current future plans:
Projector retrofit for the headlight
new seat (not sure if mustang or ultimate, have heard great things for both)
Sissy bar
Saddle bags
custom 3D printed switch panel
Aux high beam lighting as I wish to have the best chance to not hug a deer at 65mph on my commute to work in the mornings
Alarm system (on order)
10" ape hangers
Cruise Control, currently have a mechanical one I 3D printed
Untitled by Michael Comeaux, on Flickr

·
Administrator
13,890 Posts
i've done a lot of your mods to my 950. especially the projector retrofit to the headlamp. i don't recommend it. you have to heavily modify the headlamp bucket to make it work. but if you absolutely want HID and the brightest headlamp possible then that is currently what you have to do. looking forward to see how you come along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've done a lot of your mods to my 950. especially the projector retrofit to the headlamp. i don't recommend it. you have to heavily modify the headlamp bucket to make it work. but if you absolutely want HID and the brightest headlamp possible then that is currently what you have to do. looking forward to see how you come along.
Do you have any photos of the install? What all did you have to do as far as modifying the bucket?
I have an FXR retrofit in my truck with some fog lamp projectors with HIDs in them so needless to say I'm used to far better lighting than this reflector bucket offers. If the job is too much then I do have other options in mind that would provide similar advances to the current lighting situation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey look, it's me again! Today the extensions for the underglow kit were delivered and the alarm (has its own battery so don't have to worry about it draining bike battery, its actually meant for a bicycle but I've heard some good things about it. Now to just see how much I actually use it lol.
But on to the events of this evening, I got the front underglow lights installed, currently have an extra 4" LED strip lying around so someone give me an idea for it if you have one! I also managed to blow the fuse that came with the underglow kit, other one may have gotten rolled over so I ended up installing the fuse panel that I originally purchased for Ruby, decided against, but hey, I didn't want to wait for new fuses so the panel went in! lol. The alarm was originally going to go under the seat, ontop of the battery but that location is now used for the fuse panel, I had to remove the rubber strap for the battery because its a very tight fit for the fuse panel with the cover on it and from what I can tell, it touches the bottom of the seat. SO the alarm ended up going on the front side of the battery box under the bike with some outdoor grade 3M double sided tape.
I have included a photo of the alarm next to an old eraser for size reference, and before anyone says that I don't have a decent gauge of wire feeding the fuse panel, I know, I am going to home depot tomorrow to get some larger gauge wire, I just used what I had on hand.
The fuse panel is intended for marine use, so I used one of the stickers for kicks, with hurricane season coming up I really hope that the sticker doesn't become a reality haha.
Also in the video, I was arming the alarm. I will take a video of it in action tomorrow but since I finished working so late, I decided not to make my neighbors hate me more than they already do for leaving on Ruby at 5:30AM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tuesday: Quite an eventful 3 days. Realized the bike didn’t have the right battery, when I bought Ruby she had a 120A battery, manual calls for 230A, so skipping the boring details I now have a 210A battery from Orielly as they let me exchange the 120 and they just said it had a dead cell
Wednesday: got the new battery installed, it was dead, let it charge overnight
Today: morning start was great, but struggled when I left work, then died during the 10 minutes I was in Home Depot. Got the battery checked out and it’s fine, came home, did some trouble shooting and found out the starter magnets are shot. 2 good magnets and about 12 pieces that totaled up to 3 more magnets came out haha. So looks like she’ll be sitting in the garage over the weekend. Also got my new to me OEM sissy bar delivered tonight. Gonna have to go get hardware tomorrow as it showed up at 9pm, thanks UPS lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
you know, if you feel like bugs are crawling under your skin and you really need to ride
you can push start your bike (instead of using the starter)

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know, if you feel like bugs are crawling under your skin and you really need to ride
you can push start your bike (instead of using the starter)
I thought about it, but I'll also say that the incredible shape that I am in, is just the shape of being round haha. A new Starter is on the way so she'll just sadly have to sit for the weekend.
I am editing my last post to include some photos just for reference incase anyone has the same issues and stumbles across the thread
Thanks for the recommendation though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, ordered a starter, came in last week but was defective, got it exchanged and the new one installed today. Starts up right away, no hesitations!
Also on order is a new driver backrest, arriving tomorrow and then an LED adapter ring for the headlight build I have planned it won’t be for everyone, but it’ll be good and bright!

·
Administrator
13,890 Posts
currently have an extra 4" LED strip lying around so someone give me an idea for it if you have one!
under the frame facing down on the top of the front cylinder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the driver backrest the other day, have put a good 300 or so miles on with it, and boy oh boy am I glad I got it! Only $50 off ebay too. I will say the finish on it is a different pattern than the stock seats but for $50 and the added comfort, its tough to complain haha! "NEW" YAMAHA V- Star 1300 Driver Backrest w/ Black Pad | eBay

Also on its way as of today are some OEM saddlebags and brackets off the touring model I was able to scoop up for a steal! Should arrive Monday

under the frame facing down on the top of the front cylinder

I will have to give this a shot! Thanks for the suggestion Bevo!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After only a few headaches, saddle bags are installed , also installed some auxiliary lights on the front forks, they are part of my headlight upgrade. They are triggered by the factory high beam switch. Since the projector light housing I am looking at installing does not have a high beam function, these shall be my high beam when I do my headlight work. Should be doing that before too long.
I swear those screws for the passenger foot pegs were never intended to come back out lol

https://flic.kr/p/2jcC4Qw https://flic.kr/p/2jcy1DR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, some new little trinckets are on order for Ruby! Who wants to guess what they might be?!
There are 2 trinckets on order, here in the next week!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Missile launcher and Moron detecter?
Fuzzy Dice and Handlebar Streamers?
Man how did you guys figure it out so quickly?! It’s a moron deterctor and fuzzy dice! Lol

Missle launcher (aka move out the way) coming soon, just have to add actuator to passenger seat first

1 - 20 of 24 Posts