Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"When you push your envelope, no matter if you are a beginner or expert, you can do it in three ways. Push the limits of your equipment, the limits of your skill, or the limits of your fear. Do one at a time and you're safe. Do two at a time and you have a good chance of serious injury or death. Push all three and you won't survive the day."

Saw this quote and thought about a thread collecting maxims, sayings, thoughts to live and ride by? Worth all the experience here I'll bet we can come up with some good ones?!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I had a guy that i used to work with that was new to riding. He said in spring when the roads are full of gravel that has built up you almost have to slow down before you turn. I almost didn't know how to respond to such a stupid statement. I probably said something like noshit!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Deeksvstarclassic I can see why you didn't know how to respond to that. My jaw just hit the floor.

I don't think I ride with fear or worry. But I do ride knowing that I can't fully see around the corner. Will there be some debris in the road, or a deer ready to hop out of the ditch (nailed one of those pesky bastards years ago!)? I ride to enjoy, but also ride cautious enough to overcome encounters I hadn't expected.

I live in a rural area on a very windy and scenic road that's a favorite with bicyclists and motorcyclists in the area. I cringe some days when I hear them wind up in the straights and shutdown for the curves. This road has many driveways and such that are difficult to see at higher speeds. I'm afraid one day I'm going to hear the roar...a screech, and then silence........

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've been back riding for a year now and am more confident than ever.
I relax a lot more now. No longer have the death grip on the handle bars.

I am still alert and cautious.
Like a few weeks back I was riding on a country road and rounded a sharp curve and guy was mowing next to the road and throwing tons of wet grass clippings all over the road. Skeered the snot out of me.
I still try to keep my eyes open and stay alert

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a guy that i used to work with that was new to riding. He said in spring when the roads are full of gravel that has built up you almost have to slow down before you turn.
So why do you have a lot of gravel on the roads in the spring?
Is it from salt and slag they put down in the winter?

·
Registered
572 Posts
We have a local spot that is famous for killing people. It is a 300 foot drop then rise with almost 100% blind corners that takes a massive turn in on itself. An old farmers road that they paved to save reengineering and redoing.

The fellas on the sport bikes like to hit it at about 25 over the speed limit and try to drag their pegs. Would not be such a problem if they could see oncoming traffic and be able to see where the road goes.

I have taken it almost every nice weekend in the last couple of years but at a proper speed and abundance of caution due to some people dropping their bikes at the bottom.

In young guy, 17 years old got killed last year because he wanted to video his buddy taking it at speed. He was promptly hit by 2 other riders who didn't know he was going to he stopped in the middle of the road.

A car coming the direction had made it so the other riders could not avoid hitting him.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
That is the most of it sometimes they use sand also. The roads are really dirty in spring. Plows throw everything everywhere.
We get sand on our roads during hurricane flooding, does that count?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sand, gravel, salt, cinders and slag. For us spring rains and wind also bring the crap out of the gulleys and ditches along the road. So,

"Only ride as fast as you can see.."
"Dress for the slide, not just the ride.."

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
What bothers me is people mow the grass into the road. Running up on a patch is like hitting ice. Very dangerous.
At least in Virginia, blowing grass into the road is illegal.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
And now for something completely different! The original thought on this thread. I like mine "Riding is not just what I do. But who I am.
a thread collecting maxims, sayings, thoughts to live and ride by

1 - 20 of 45 Posts