Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
"When you push your envelope, no matter if you are a beginner or expert, you can do it in three ways. Push the limits of your equipment, the limits of your skill, or the limits of your fear. Do one at a time and you're safe. Do two at a time and you have a good chance of serious injury or death. Push all three and you won't survive the day."

Saw this quote and thought about a thread collecting maxims, sayings, thoughts to live and ride by? Worth all the experience here I'll bet we can come up with some good ones?!
"Try to be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a monster you cannot see."

There are several versions, attributed to several people, but you get the idea.

In a past life there was a guy who could go from zero to full jerk / judgmental asshole in 2 seconds. A guy who tried to be decent, but that asshole kept coming out. As he got older, he got a taste of the issues that he once thought only happened to other people. Loved ones falling ill and dying, money issues, lost loves, lost friends, lost jobs, accidents, mishaps, and misunderstandings. Age helps to mellow wine, whiskey, and apparently judgmental assholes, and seeing this quote finally pushed this guy over the hump. He applied it to life in general, and found that it really helps when on two wheels as well. He's not perfect, but he catches that asshole and puts him in his place most of the time now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
"Try to be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a monster you cannot see."

There are several versions, attributed to several people, but you get the idea.

In a past life there was a guy who could go from zero to full jerk / judgmental asshole in 2 seconds. A guy who tried to be decent, but that asshole kept coming out. As he got older, he got a taste of the issues that he once thought only happened to other people. Loved ones falling ill and dying, money issues, lost loves, lost friends, lost jobs, accidents, mishaps, and misunderstandings. Age helps to mellow wine, whiskey, and apparently judgmental assholes, and seeing this quote finally pushed this guy over the hump. He applied it to life in general, and found that it really helps when on two wheels as well. He's not perfect, but he catches that asshole and puts him in his place most of the time now.
Sometimes it takes a little heat to temper a fine metal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
I saw this article a few years back and remember my Cowboy Granddad telling me the importance of such things when I would stay with them over the summer in the Texas Panhandle...

Cowboy Etiquette
Ladies first, take off your hat when you''re inside, and mind that you say "ma''am" and "sir." With an emphasis on respect, safety, and plain ''ole good manners, the rules of cowboy etiquette have been handed down through the generations.
By:
Laurel Miller Updated:Feb 13, 2017Original:Mar 14, 2013

Old-time cowboys weren’t all hard-living, tough-as-rawhide loners. A strict code of ethics and etiquette underscored the Way of the West.

Hats off

Hats are removed to eat, enter a home or private office, and to address the flag during the National Anthem. When being introduced to a lady, remove or tip your hat—but never to a man. (That’s an insult.) Keep your hat on at the bar, in public buildings, and at the theater, unless it’s blocking someone’s view. Many rodeo cowboys believe it’s bad luck to lay their hat on a bed.

Gate keeper

Always leave a gate how you found it. If you’re in a truck or a wagon, the man farthest to the right is the one who hops out to open and close gates.

Honor code

Never criticize a man’s horse, dog, cattle (or wife, for that matter). Don’t pester a stranger for personal details or ask a rancher the size of his herd. A handshake seals any deal.

Do drop in

Cowboys out gathering cattle or riding fence could rightly expect to stop at a nearby ranch house for a meal or even a berth for the night. In fact, dude ranches were born of this tradition.

Getting even

Practical jokes are an acceptable form of retribution. One old-timer we know tells of being forced to take the boss’ city-slicker nephew on a cattle drive. Weary of the guy’s incessant whining, our friend and a co-worker rubbed chile pequenos on his drawers while he slept. The next day, the nephew squirmed in his saddle under the hot sun and jumped off his horse to frantically strip naked. He assumed a nasty critter was biting him.

Ride for the brand

The Cowboy Way is a work ethic—and a life philosophy—that includes a willingness to give 100 percent in any situation. Humbleness and practicality are also central to the creed: When herding cattle, don’t sort the animals without being asked, and ride drag (back of the herd, not wing or lead) unless instructed otherwise. Loyalty to one’s employer and personal integrity are sources of pride. Avoid cutting off other riders, and never ride out in front of the boss! And remember, a real cowboy never complains—no matter how tired, cold, hungry, thirsty, or hurt he may be.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I saw this article a few years back and remember my Cowboy Granddad telling me the importance of such things when I would stay with them over the summer in the Texas Panhandle...

Cowboy Etiquette
Ladies first, take off your hat when you''re inside, and mind that you say "ma''am" and "sir." With an emphasis on respect, safety, and plain ''ole good manners, the rules of cowboy etiquette have been handed down through the generations.
By:

Old-time cowboys weren’t all hard-living, tough-as-rawhide loners. A strict code of ethics and etiquette underscored the Way of the West.

Hats off

Hats are removed to eat, enter a home or private office, and to address the flag during the National Anthem. When being introduced to a lady, remove or tip your hat—but never to a man. (That’s an insult.) Keep your hat on at the bar, in public buildings, and at the theater, unless it’s blocking someone’s view. Many rodeo cowboys believe it’s bad luck to lay their hat on a bed.

Gate keeper

Always leave a gate how you found it. If you’re in a truck or a wagon, the man farthest to the right is the one who hops out to open and close gates.

Honor code

Never criticize a man’s horse, dog, cattle (or wife, for that matter). Don’t pester a stranger for personal details or ask a rancher the size of his herd. A handshake seals any deal.

Do drop in

Cowboys out gathering cattle or riding fence could rightly expect to stop at a nearby ranch house for a meal or even a berth for the night. In fact, dude ranches were born of this tradition.

Getting even

Practical jokes are an acceptable form of retribution. One old-timer we know tells of being forced to take the boss’ city-slicker nephew on a cattle drive. Weary of the guy’s incessant whining, our friend and a co-worker rubbed chile pequenos on his drawers while he slept. The next day, the nephew squirmed in his saddle under the hot sun and jumped off his horse to frantically strip naked. He assumed a nasty critter was biting him.

Ride for the brand

The Cowboy Way is a work ethic—and a life philosophy—that includes a willingness to give 100 percent in any situation. Humbleness and practicality are also central to the creed: When herding cattle, don’t sort the animals without being asked, and ride drag (back of the herd, not wing or lead) unless instructed otherwise. Loyalty to one’s employer and personal integrity are sources of pride. Avoid cutting off other riders, and never ride out in front of the boss! And remember, a real cowboy never complains—no matter how tired, cold, hungry, thirsty, or hurt he may be.
Good way to live.

The hat on the bed thing is a real superstition. It harbors bad luck because way back in the day, when a doctor or undertaker came to see you, they would set their hat down on the end of the bed / bunk.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Jim Croce said:
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim / Slim

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I always heard these words from my dad.

Yours is not the reason why...but to do or die.
You can do it before the fight or after the fight...your choice.

Ones I used to tell my kids on their way out the door to school....Good luck on your test today....Their response "We dont have a test today dad"....My response...Yes you do..everyday is a test. What made my day on this one was when my youngest son who is now a teacher called me on his way home from work and told me he said this to one of his former students as she was walking away...He said he tried to stop but he could not...We laughed good about that one! It made me feel great that I was living rent free...in his head!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It made me feel great that I was living rent free...in his head!
That reminds me...

I try damn hard not to allow people live rent free in my head.

If you don't provide something positive for me. I try very hard NOT to think about you.

If you've harmed me. I try very hard NOT to think about you.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Registered
808 Posts

Cowboy Etiquette
By:

Hats off

Gate keeper

Honor code

Do drop in

Getting even

Ride for the brand

I'm going to try hard to remember every one of these the next time I'm out herding the dogies !

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I knew you guys would come up with some good quotes! Definitely showing how you honor others, your family and yourselves. And some great maxims ( Hydme!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Found this one today: more patience on the road, less patients in the ER!

Reactions: compjan and Boog

·
Registered
576 Posts
These laws are not a rule in the sense of the thread, but...

1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible place in the universe.

3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

4. Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal; someone always answers.

5. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.

6. Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone will ring.

7. Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are dressed totally inappropriately or you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.

8. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, it will.

9. Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

10. Law of the Theater & Football Stadium - At any event, the people whose seats are farthest from the aisle, always arrive last. They are also the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet, and who leave before the end of the performance or the game. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.

11. The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.

12. Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only 2 people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.

13. Law of Physical Surfaces - The chances of an open-faced jam sandwich landing face down on a floor are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug

14. Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

15. Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.

16. The 50-50-90 Law - Whenever there's a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability that you'll get it wrong.

17. Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it or the store will stop selling it!

18. Doctors' Law - If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there, you'll feel better. But don't make an appointment and you'll stay sick.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts