Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2007 vstar 650 custom. i bought it last year with 1000 miles on it. I have changed oil twice since and it has been my daily driver since. i rode it out to Sturgis last week. 400 miles out there and it ran fine. 300 miles in the black hills, fine. on the way back we hit rain with about 150 miles left. the bike seemed to lose a cylinder for 3 or 4 seconds and came back for about 4-5 seconds. went on this way for about 5 miles till the next town, getting slower and slower. i tried to adjust the plug wires and put fuel in. seems to run fine after that. today in dry weather it started it again. cut out and back. seems to be only one clyinder and only at highway speeds. what could it be.? fuel, fuel filter, electrical? i only added 2.9 gals of fuel so was not low of fuel.? i have 4700 miles on it now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We were doing a poker run last weekend and a friend of mine filled up at a new gas station and he got some bad fuel. His bike started missing, sputtering, then it would go away then come back. It did this the whole run, he put some dry gas in it but I havent seen or talked to him since then. If your not mechanically inclined I would take it to a reputable shop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fuel filter

I change mine every other oil change (5000 mi), I do not use the OEM, I use the old fashion see through type in line and it works fine, A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE.
An drain the carbs at the same time, usually get a drop or 2 of water.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it's just one cylinder giving you problems, make sure that the plug is correctly installed.... I had mechanics do a service and everything was fine for about 4 months then suddenly one day the vibrations on the bike knocked the front plug loose on a freeway and it took another mechanic a solid 10 mins of looking/listening to work out that the plug was no longer installed. The original mechanic claimed that I have a "tight spot" and that it is not abnormal to have plugs installed incorrectly..... :( Now I do ALL my own servicing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help. i started with the easiest thing today. i put new plugs in, and will try that. strange it only happens at 60-70 mph, and did not do it again till yesterday. 4 days later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts