Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search but never got an answer I was looking for.
On my other carbed bikes over the years I would prep fuel, go for a short ride, couple of miles, then let the carbs run dry for storage, is there any problem doing this? IV read some drain the bowls, just wondering if it maters which procedure is done, getting time to put away bikes for a few months.......:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
In the remote past I always ran the carbs dry prior to storage. Now I simply take a ride until I hit reserve, fill up with non-oxygenated gas and add Stabil. Then ride a few miles to get the mix into the system. When I get home I close the petcock, pull the battery and throw a cover over the bike. I also put some repellant in the storage shed to discourage the mice from taking up residence. In spring I pull the cover, reinstall the battery, and the bike starts as easy as it did in mid summer. Also, a little prayer befor hitting the start switch after a long period of storage won't hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, Sounds like just leaving well enough alone works also......:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't have experience with "winterizing" a bike yet as this is my first year of ownership but I would not drain the carb. As mentioned earlier it can allow the seal to dry up and I have always feared it gave tiny critters a place to next. Could be wrong on both cases but that's just me. I just add some stabilizer as mentioned and leave it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used to run the carb(s) dry before winter storage. Trouble is, most new bikes have vacuum petcocks and many of them do not have an OFF. I also noticed the air cooled engine seemed to get hotter while idling the carb dry, and I was never sure the carb was completely dry anyway. Now I drain the bowl, after letting the engine cool. This year, since I only have one motorcycle and it will be stored in my garage there will likely be no winter prep at all except for Sta-Bil in the gas. There are usually a couple of days in winter nice enough to get out and ride.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tried to search but never got an answer I was looking for.
On my other carbed bikes over the years I would prep fuel, go for a short ride, couple of miles, then let the carbs run dry for storage, is there any problem doing this? IV read some drain the bowls, just wondering if it maters which procedure is done, getting time to put away bikes for a few months.......:(
My experience is that when you run the bike until it goes dry their is still gas in the carbs. When I re-jetted, I ran the bike with the pepcock off till it was sputtering. Then I drained the carbs and quite a bit of gas still came out.

You can kinda verify this with the choke, since the choke is actually an enricher. The first time I drove away with the pepcock off and the bike died. It repeatedly restarted with the choke out, and would run into I blipped the throttle. Even though the floats weren't refilling, there was still plenty of gas left to come out of the hole for the enricher/choke.

This goes for any engine, boat, lawnmower, ect. You don't want it sitting for a long time with ethanol in the carbs. I use the super premium in my bike, just so I never put ethanol in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would run them dry then work the choke , and called it good.
I'll leave them be this year...:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would run them dry then work the choke , and called it good.
I'll leave them be this year...:)
Draining the float bowls with the drain ports was quite easy. Much better than what they said to do in the Cruiser Customizing V Star 650 re-jet how to video. "be ready with a towel to catch the gas as it falls out of the float bowl when you remove it." :eek:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
MY plan is to treat the fuel with a good quality stabilizer then fire it up every couple weeks and let it run a few minutes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MY plan is to treat the fuel with a good quality stabilizer then fire it up every couple weeks and let it run a few minutes.
The fuel stabilizer is okay. The start and run for a few minutes isn't. In aviation the saying is "If you start it, fly it." Starting the engine puts water into the cylinder and exhaust, as a natural byproduct of burning a hydrogen-containing fuel. Unless you run it long enough to get the oil and exhaust hot, that water stays there. If you don't plan to actually ride the bike for at least ten miles or so, you are better off to not start it at all. If you feel the need to charge the battery, do it with an automatic charger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts