Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Running lights on back of 650 ??

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  whyssb 
#1 ·
i was wondering an easy way to make my rear turnsginals into running lights/turn signals without spending a bunch
of un necessary $$$...anyone done this?

#2 ·
Not sure that it's that easy. The stock turn signal bulb is a 1156 single filament bulb. To get the effect you are describing, you will probably need to change to a dual filament bulb such as an 1157. Problem is, they have slightly different sockets so they are not cross compatible. You can get aftermarket turn signals that use 1157's instead - I don't think they are all that expensive. They will require some wiring though...

Reactions: 93133
#5 ·
i was wondering an easy way to make my rear turnsginals into running lights/turn signals without spending a bunch
Kuryakyn part number 4710 will do it. You will have to splice into the wiring but it's fairly simple. Have done it on my last 3 bikes. Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller - 4710 Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
Works with your existing bulbs but you may need to change your stock rear lenses to red to comply with local laws or you could buy red bulbs.
I bought my module from, Chrome Glow for my Roadstar 1700. Plug and play, no splicing of wires. Works great so far. Its made by, Kuryakin and lusts for 102.00

Triple Whammy™ Run-Turn-Brake Light Kit for Yamaha CruisersSKU: 4602

#11 ·
Unfortunately since Yamaha discontinued the Star line of motorcycles Kuryakyn discontinued all of their plug and play modules for these bikes. You can only get the generic ones now that you have to splice into the wiring unless you are fortunate enough to find someone who has old stock.

#6 ·
your turn signal lenses are yellow

to do it right you have to get clear lenses, yellow turn signal lamps, and red running lamps

and the red light needs to go off when the turn signal is blinking

the original owner did this to my royal star, except he kept the yellow lenses - I like it, but I dont think I would go thru all that trouble myself

its would be easier to add red lights to a trunk or saddle bags

#7 ·
Just changing to red lenses would be all that is required on the color, you can have red running lights and red turn signals. Here in florida you can have yellow running light and yellow turn signals.Just as long as your main light is red with a red stoplight

#9 ·
I'm in the same boat as Hillbilly's original post... Currently have stock rear turn signals (no running lights) on my 2015 Vstar 1300. Have always hated them as the rubber mounting bracket is weak and tends to break. Now need to replace one again, and would like to upgrade to having them be running lights in addition to being turn signals. Since I'm wiring challenged when it comes to mods... would love some insight into what the least invasive way to get the additional functionality and without having it be a major project.

#12 ·
This is my wife’s bike and what we did to it. In the rear you can run amber as long as it’s not used as a brake lights. The yellow running lights in the rear are bright and the red LED’s on the side makes her bike more visible.

Here’s how my 950t is setup, I have the triple whammy setup on it. I added the saddlebag LED’s, the extra LED’s off of the saddlebag brackets, and the white LED’s under the tank, and the ambers up front mounted in the lower frame.

Here’s what they look like in the garage in the dark.

This my wife’s bike in the dark.

I think the visibility is worth the minimal investment.
Once the RoadStar is back together and on the road, I’m gonna add lighting to the tank and the sides like the 950t. I already have the triple whammy kit on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
This is my wife’s bike and what we did to it. In the rear you can run amber as long as it’s not used as a brake lights. The yellow running lights in the rear are bright and the red LED’s on the side makes her bike more visible.

I cant tell what Im looking at here?!

you have yellow running lights and yellow turn signals?!

that is not acceptable in NY - yellow can only be turn signal or emergency flashers

#13 ·
Its not hard if your good or semi knowledgeable at wiring I did my 03 650 just had to buy 2 pole sockets and bulbs and wire them in. Just need to find the constant hot for the marker lights and if their wired the same color its the blue wire if I remember right the brown and yellow wire are the turns and ground is a given. But color codes may change from year amd model.

#16 ·
I installed the triple whammy and it just installs between two connectors under the seat. On my 950 I had to change the position of 2 of the wires in the plugs. They are fairly simple to change without cutting wires. I broke one of the locking tabs on the pins but I found the pins on line at Corsa Tech. If you have a pin pusher or a small flat blade you can release the lock tab in the pin comes right out..Other than that it is fairly plug and play. If your rear turn signals are Amber lenses you can get new Red ones at Custom Dynamics. I did those and LED lights also. Did Switchback bulbs on the front. Bright white but turn amber when turn signal activated. May lose self cancelling or get hyper flash but that can be fixed with a load equalizer. Good luck!

#18 ·
The picture is showing the turn signals are amber and are setup as steady burning lights. Tn is the same as you can’t run amber brake lights.
A triple whammy kit would allow the turn signals to act as brake lights but would have to be red bulbs.
I mounted a cyclegear license plate frame that has LED’s for brake and turn signals when activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Roadstar & Digger, I can't thank you enough for providing the suggestion of a Kuryakyn Triple Whammy!! My wrenching skills are limited and after spending a couple hours online found a supplier that had a 4602 in stock which I quickly ordered, and as promised it was plug and play at it's best. Took 15 minutes to install & change the bulbs and everything works exactly as it should.

Will be heading out for a 1,500 mile long weekend loop in a few days and am thrilled knowing I'll be more visible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.