Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 R Silverado S 1700 was running fine until I disconnected the battery to install battery tender pig tails. Now it lugs in all gears & max out at 65 mph in 5th gear. The air filter had condensation all in the housing. I cleaned the K&N filter, put new gas & some dry gas in it but not much difference. Does the ecm need to be reflashed after a battery removal? I checked the plugs & they have a good connection. It all started, as I said, when I disconnected both battery cables.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the 2008-14 fuel injected models. How long was the battery disconnected? As a first suggestion, I would disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to allow the ECU to hopefully reset. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very curious if you found the cause/solution yet. I'm considering a newer FI Roadstar and this certainly creates some concern especially with some of the longer trips I have planned. I've had to replace a battery on the road once and would hate to have this happen as I'm sure you're experiencing. I've had two road stars for over 10 years and had a few issues, but this is a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the battery for a half hour & took the bike for a ride yesterday. It's definitely the fuel air mixture. Still running rough with no power. I gave up & dropped it off at the local Yamaha dealer yesterday afternoon. They won't get to it until late today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what the resolution is when I pick her up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the update. Would really like to know what they do to solve the problem and if it's going to be a problem again when you have to disconnect the battery. It sure doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer found out that the problem was with the Power Commander that the previous owner installed. It had no fuel getting to the front cylinder. Power Commander was removed, new plugs were installed &now the bike runs great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That makes sense. It was the timing with the battery disconnect that was odd. Thanks for the update and glad to hear it was that simple a fix.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Disconnecting the battery does nothing to the ECU. A well known performance guru once told me "Nothing can reset the ecu.... it's dumb as a brick" :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts