Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know a easy way to clean the rust off of my drive shaft. It's chrome and I don't want to damage it or remove the coating. This is on a 2006 V-Star 1100 Silverdado

·
Registered
491 Posts
I saw something where people use wet aluminum foil to remove rust/polish chrome. But I'm still a little paranoid about the idea...

eGo

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,713 Posts
I have always used polishing compound that is clear coat paint safe. If it won't hurt paint it won't hurt chrome. Been doing this for years with good results. It takes a little elbow grease sometimes but I have never damaged the chrome. Then I always wax the chrome.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On guns with a blued finish, I use BRONZE wool with Breakfree CLP. You can find the Breakfree in the outdoors section at WalMart. I had to go online to Amazon to get bronze wool. On guns it removes surface rust without scratching or removing the blued finish, which is much more fragile than chrome. Give it a good soak with CLP and start lightly scrubbing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have used steel wool, 0000 grade, with a light oil to clean rust off blued guns. Copper (Chore Girl) pads would be good, I suppose. Be careful, some of those pads are said to be copper washed steel instead of pure copper. A magnet will tell you. Any place that sells gun cleaning gear will probably sell copper or bronze brushes (look kind of like a toothbrush) as well as stainless steel brushes. A Dremel tool with a cloth wheel and jeweler's rouge would work, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have used naval jelly. sold in most auto stores. it's made for rust on chrome. works great an doesn't harm the crome. it is a mild acid so don't get it on you hands or eyes. wash off afterwards with water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. swfly, I forgot all about naval jelly, used it years ago to free up a rusted old rifle that was found in my uncles attic.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Naval jelly, is that anything like toe jam?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts