Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Saturday all - Call your Mom and say thanks for putting up with your crap! =)

Call me vain, but I'm wondering about doing something about a couple parts that are rusting. I just think of rust as a disease that will only get worse if ignored.

I guess it also bothers me because it just seems like an eye sore. But is it something I should fix, or would I be better spent working on other projects? If I pulled the exhaust to swap out the parts behind it, would I need to rejet? I'm already planning to re-sync the carbs just for the hell of it really.

Also, there is some rust on other parts as well (parts on the seat, various nuts and bolts, even one of the cables - see last pic). Is there anything that can be done other than just replacing the seat? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess it depends how shinny you want to keep it and if they are critical parts. A friend of mine bought his first bike a few seasons ago and I bet hes washed it twice. His is always very dirty with road grime, light rust here and there. I personally don't know how guys can let their bikes get as bad as his.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking I am going to do something about it. I'm researching how to pull the AIS system since it is the most rusted (you can see how bad one end is in the 1st pic), and I'm thinking it might help with the bike's tendency to pop while decelerating. There's enough how-to manuals on this job that I think I could do it. Just need to stop by the shooting range and practice with my .45 so I have a couple empty casings to fill the gaps. =)

The exhaust joint wouldn't be too hard to get to either once I pull the pipe. Never done this before, but it doesn't seem too hard since it is accessible from the side. For the more experienced shop owners on here, any hints on these jobs for someone brand new to bikes and bike maintenance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts