Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of fighting with a stupid check engine light on the Raider I am over it. It comes on randomly. NEVER comes on for the dealer. They had the bike for over a month and the effing light never came on. I picked the bike up and the damn thing came on when I was less than 3 miles from the shop. I am DONE. I am trading her in for a *GASP* Street Glide. I have been fighting this decision. I was made a deal on a new SG that I cannot pass up. They are giving me top dollar for the Raider and knocking a crap ton off of the SG. The SG will come with a lifetime powertrain warranty. That sealed the deal for me. I do not have to worry about the most expensive part of the bike. :) I still have my Venture and love her. I will have a few parts for sale in the for sale section.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
SG is a cool looking bike. What color you getting?

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SG is a cool looking bike. What color you getting?
The Flat white. Its called Bonneville Salt Denim. I have not seen a lot in that color. I did not want mine too color. You know.. "What color is your bike?" ...."Black".. "Really? Mine too."

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
That's an interesting color. Guess I'm lazy, white shows too much dirt. Looks great when it's clean. I understand the black bike comment. Mine is a dark gray, but they call Black Ivory. We need to see pictures or it never happened. 😀

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I dont understand the check engine light on your raider, I dont remember you talking about it?

If the check engine light comes on, doesnt it store a fault code? Cant the shop read the code?

Did the engine act up with the light on? Feel like limp home mode or not run right?

Some faults on cars will come on, and clear up and go back off, like a loose gas cap tripping an evap code, but the fault would still be stored in the ECM.

If the light is randomly coming on and there are no codes, the light circuit is defective, the engine is fine.

BTW, I think it should be official policy on this website, if anyone decides to get a MC from another company then no explanation or grief is called for, simply because yamaha dropped the Vstar line, and the only Vtwin left is the new Venture.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It keeps throwing code 37 for throttle position. The bike went out of warranty while sitting for the month at the dealer. I refused to pick it up because I knew there was an issue but they basically threw their hands in the air. Now when I took it in the light was on and the code was showing. I even had the service writer take a pic of it on the tablet they use to write up the bikes. So I had to pick it up after a month plus of her sitting there. We have bought 4 bikes from this dealer. They kept telling me it had to fail there. As an auto tech I understand that. I am not upset with them. When the light would come on it would hold a high idle. With the aftermarket exhaust it sounded like I was being an azzhole at lights. On hot days the high idle caused excessive heat.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Im still confused. If the bike threw a position sensor fault, they replace the position sensors. If it throws more faults they replace the ECM (which has the circuit that reads the position sensor). If it keeps throwing faults they replace the cable wiring between the sensor and the ECM.

it sounds like they did nothing, because they could not read an error on the sensor, or they cleared the fault and it did not immediately come back.

Intermittent faults and problems are difficult to debug, but the solution tree in the service manual is clear - if you cannot isolate the fault because it goes away, you start replacing the sensors and modules flagged by the fault code.

It sounds like they did not want to follow the procedure in the service manual. This is a real PITA if you are fixing the motorcycle yourself, but for a dealer shop, they pass the cost of all the replaced parts on to Yamaha.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Have you picked up the new bike yet. We are waiting for pictures.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Very nice looking. How's the ride?

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
A little more stiff than the Raider but not as bad as alot of ppl say HDs ride. I am very happy with her.
I've always set my ride to be on the stiffer side. I don't like too soft of a ride as I can't feel the chassis react to input. Maybe it's left from my sport bike days, but it works good for me. I usually set shock pre-load stiffer and will run tire pressure to high end of manufacturers recommendations. I can feel what the bike is doing set like this rather than having to wait for the chassis to load in order to give me feedback. With me only weighing 125, my stiff setup will be most people's normal. Glad you are liking it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts