Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told myself I wasn't going to post a lot about my Father In Law passing away yesterday at the age of 87 but here I go. He lived a great life, married, three daughters, seven grandchildren and tons of friends. He was a vet, a Mason, Jack of all trades and a friend to all. A few years ago Alzheimer's disease started to set in and has been in a nursing for a while when his physical health followed him mental health issues. As a family we have had the hard discussions on how to handle the final steps of this process some time ago. Being a very proud vet he always wanted to be buried in the VA hospital. The plan had been discussed about a celebration of his life at the VA cemetery, full honors burial with taps. Now comes the dilemma, the VA is not doing any of that because of Covid. They are going to pick up the body and bury him. As of today, they are not going to allow us any access to him, the coffin, burial site or anything else. As a family we are upset. Part of grieving is saying goodbye. Being able to cry one last time. Being able to hold other love ones to ease the grieving process. I spent hours on the phone today attempting to find a way to accomplish some of this. The VA simply stated that during this time they must follow the guidelines they are given. I did find out that the cemetery is not closed to family members from visiting. As of today the VA can not give me an exact burial day. Most of y'all have figured out by now I've got a smart a$$ attitude at times, well it came out today. I told the VA today to expect a family member to be there starting tomorrow so we will know when they bury him. They stated they would stop the burial if anyone was there. I said great, then we could have a small graveside ceremony by ourselves and they could continue the burial after we left. They didn't take very kindly about my idea. So we know have a compromise. The VA will tell us when the casket is at burial site, take a break, them come back. It's an OK compromise, VA folks don't really break any rules and we get to say our goodbye. Hopefully no one else has to go thru this during the current pandemic. If you do, Good luck, as burials, at least in Houston are a lot different. I won't be on the forum as much as usual for the next week or so while I take care of family business. Thanks all. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I wouldn't expect any less from you, i am glad you got something to help ease the pain. I have an Aunt that died a month ago that i never got to say good bye to. She also had a good life. The kinda person just thinking of her can put a smile on my face. Heck you got a toilet in the hospital parking lot too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I told myself I wasn't going to post a lot about my Father In Law passing away yesterday at the age of 87 but here I go. He lived a great life, married, three daughters, seven grandchildren and tons of friends. He was a vet, a Mason, Jack of all trades and a friend to all. A few years ago Alzheimer's disease started to set in and has been in a nursing for a while when his physical health followed him mental health issues. As a family we have had the hard discussions on how to handle the final steps of this process some time ago. Being a very proud vet he always wanted to be buried in the VA hospital. The plan had been discussed about a celebration of his life at the VA cemetery, full honors burial with taps. Now comes the dilemma, the VA is not doing any of that because of Covid. They are going to pick up the body and bury him. As of today, they are not going to allow us any access to him, the coffin, burial site or anything else. As a family we are upset. Part of grieving is saying goodbye. Being able to cry one last time. Being able to hold other love ones to ease the grieving process. I spent hours on the phone today attempting to find a way to accomplish some of this. The VA simply stated that during this time they must follow the guidelines they are given. I did find out that the cemetery is not closed to family members from visiting. As of today the VA can not give me an exact burial day. Most of y'all have figured out by now I've got a smart a$$ attitude at times, well it came out today. I told the VA today to expect a family member to be there starting tomorrow so we will know when they bury him. They stated they would stop the burial if anyone was there. I said great, then we could have a small graveside ceremony by ourselves and they could continue the burial after we left. They didn't take very kindly about my idea. So we know have a compromise. The VA will tell us when the casket is at burial site, take a break, them come back. It's an OK compromise, VA folks don't really break any rules and we get to say our goodbye. Hopefully no one else has to go thru this during the current pandemic. If you do, Good luck, as burials, at least in Houston are a lot different. I won't be on the forum as much as usual for the next week or so while I take care of family business. Thanks all. Ride often and safe.
Too bad you are not closer. Would be honored to play taps for your father.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
@lesblank ... having just been at the services for a man I consider only a brother, but a friend. I can attest the craziness for what is & is not happening during this pandemic.
People can gather to protest by the thousands. But, a family cannot properly say their goodbyes to a loved one.
Only 60 people were allowed into the funeral at a time and had to wear masks. So several of us had to go outside is 90° + heat while others paid their respects. AND during the actual funeral service (because he was being cremated afterwards) only 60 could be present. So some folks had to coming say goodbye & then leave.
Luckily enough, we were able to give him/perform for him his Masonic burial rites.
Stuff be absolutely crazy!

Ride safe. Ride often!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey Les my deepest sympathy to you, Carla and family. Truly sad when common curtesy and respect is taken away. I hope you all can find peace and serenity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Les sorry to hear about your Father In Law, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Lost my Father In Law in March of 2019, a very good man that I had the privilege of knowing for 40 years and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. Take comfort in all the memories and experiences that I had with him as well as everything he taught me. They were truly a part of a great generation and every time we lose one we lose something special.

·
Administrator
3,494 Posts
So sorry about your loss and please extend my sympathies to Carla and the rest of your family. In such a hard time you don't need the government stepping in and making things worse. I'm glad you were able to work out a compromise. Stay strong my friend. We'll hold down the fort here.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Deeks and Scrumdown, I join Rich in offering sympathies for your losses, and I agree that this pandemic has altered many lives and normalcy.
At least you have a compromise with the VA considering the pandemic. I can’t imagine what y’all are going through, and Monica and I send our sincere condolences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
Les, our condolences, prayers and thoughts go out to you and your whole family. I lost mom a number of years ago way too young. I can’t imagine having to go through that in this current craziness we call 2020. I hope you are able to get some wind therapy soon for yourself. Don’t forget to take care of yourself while your are taking care of the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts