Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Saddle bag lock stuck

8K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ChiefGunner 
#1 ·
My RH saddle bag won’t unlock and open. Any thoughts? Also my IC won’t work. Can’t talk to my passenger. Could be a blessing lol. Pic attached for you Chief

Jeff - Retired Master Sgt USAF

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe the owners manual addresses this, On page 6-24 TIP The saddlebags and tour trunk cannot be unlocked electronically (via the unlock switch on the unlock button on the fuel tank or the smart key) if their locks were mechanically set to the lock position.

Also on page 4-12 TIP Occasionally, it may be necessary to reset the lock cylinders to their proper unlock position with the mechanical key.

I would recommend using the key to lock then unlock the saddle bag and that should reset the lock and work electronically again.

#3 · (Edited)
Post Edit: You have to have either the Yamaha branded 7-pin cords, or as some are using, the Harley-Davidson 7-pin hook up cords,....using Honda GoldWing 5 pin cords won't work, if having had a prior GoldWing.

For the Intercom, you have to turn it on, under COMMS, and you also have to set both rider and co-rider's helmets to CHECKED in the activation boxes for each under AUDIO OUTPUT, in the Communication sub-section. Then, finally, you raise the volumes of each (my wife and I use around 7-11)

You have to press your CB/Intercom trigger switch (on the front of the left handle bar pod, and your co-rider needs to press once, her, or his left side communication button. The Passenger/Co-Rider button can be used to press once, the Intercom is live, press again, and the Intercom session is ended, even though the Intercom is activated within your COMMS menu.

This is one feature that my old 2008 Wing never had, that if the Intercom was live, the talk circuit was always live, even if you didn't want it to be. With the SVTC, you can have the Intercom communication hot, but just not have open communication with the Co-Rider, until you do wish to open channel, or she/he wishes to open channel.

So, all of the above needs to be in play. It took my wife and I a couple of uses, before it is now old hat for us. The most important thing, is that you make sure under AUDIO OUTPUT, that both helmet selections are 'on', under the Communication heading. Then...you go to VOLUME, and adjust that for the each of you. The SVTC is so sophisticated, that all volume functions can be independently set n' forget for each saddle station. It takes some time to curve-learn, and set up how you and your Co-Rider will like things set. But, what a great bike, that this was allowed you...and not one volume for all...!

#5 ·
My stepfather bought a new 1975 Buick Lesaber convertable. He told all of us: never lock the doors.

If someone sees 25¢ in the car and they want it, they will take a knife and cut the convertible top open, causing $500 in damage, to steal that quarter.

Its not their car, they dont care.

Motorcycles are the same. I never lock my trunk. If someone wants to see whats in it, they will break it open. They dont care.

Reactions: Elk
#13 ·
saw sticker on motorcycle:

[DOES GOD EXIST? TOUCH THIS MOTORCYCLE AND FIND OUT IMMEDIATELY]
LOL...that was freakin' funny...!!! I'm gonna look, or have one made up....that was the best I've read...

KCW, you go, guy!

Now...off for a ride into the country....as long as it is near water...near a Tim's...and Wi-Fi... All three must cohere....lol.

Y'all have a great day....for I know, Charlotte always puts me in a great mood...always!

Cheers,

See ya....---------------------------------------------------Zoom------------------------------->
Ride safe brother. ENJOY!!??

#14 · (Edited)
I made a sticker for my motorcycle with a LabelMaker, its on my trunk

since so many compassionate drivers around here have bumperstickers that say "Watch for Motorcycles!", I put a sticker on my motorcycle: Watch for Cars!

BTW, I have been going to Tim Hortons in Canada since we went fishing there when I was a kid in the 1960s.

I just found out last year that Tim Horton was a real person, an excellent hockey player. I always thought it was a made up name.

#16 ·
NICE BIKE!!!!! Looks like mine.
Sorry about the saddle bag. Not sure about that. Could be something blocking the latch or the manual key was set before it was closed and now locked, will need to be manually unlocked. I don't use the IC so I really can't help but I did read on another forum that some one had this issue and stated something about the vox setting and the push to talk setting, maybe vox has to be off. Again not sure but start to look at the many different settings.
Now getting out there and get some miles on the machine.

#18 ·
On my Strat one of my saddlebags locked up. Could not open it tried the key multiple times, tried to shift it around without breaking it ( like trying to play pinball and not tilt). I had a pound of shrimp in there for dinner with a date. Well I broke it. The date was great and a bungie cord now holds it down. I've seen the lock for between $75.00 to $107.00 at the dealer plus $50.00 for a rekey.

#20 ·
I think the OP problem is covered on page 4-12 TIP Occasionally, it may be necessary to reset the lock cylinders to their proper unlock position with the mechanical key.

If he just locks then unlocks the saddle bag using the key it will realign the tumblers and will work again, this is clearly an issue Yamaha is aware of as they have a solution for it in the owners manual.

I think the electronic locking plunger causes the tumblers to get misaligned sometimes and all it takes to correct it is to use the key to line the tumblers back up again allowing the electronic locking plunger to work again.

#22 ·
We’ve tried everything in the book and the dealership called Yamaha. They stated the since nothing is working to rip the bag open and replace what is broken ????? WTF
I’m voting for rip the bag open and replace the whole darn thing. I’ve also tried prying it open on the back end ? and sticking a longggg screwdriver in it and push the plunger in. Unfortunaely with a flashlight saw that the Assy is installed the opposite as the left side. ?

#23 ·
Jeff, I’ve had mine feel like it was stuck before when I tried to push the button with my Palm while grabbing the edge with the same fingers. It felt like it wasn’t releasing and I think it was because I was flexing the top a bit.
I’m probably being dumb here, but I’m sure you’ve pushed the button with one hand while lifting the edge with the other.
Does it feel like the latch is trying to release when you push it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.