Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New here and I have done some searches on this topic and couldn't find any answers.

I have an '07 V-Star 650 Custom and I just bought some saddle bags that I was told would fit my bike. Well, they were almost correct.

Seems the rear turn signals are in the way. Has anybody ever relocated their rear turn signals? I have looked online for a kit to do this with after market lights but can't seem to find anything for my model and I'm really not sure what to look for beyond that.

I am very new at this whole thing so if somebody could provide me with some direction that would be great.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I had my Custom, I relocated my rear signals to the license plate bracket.
You remove the reflectors, drill out the mounting hole where the reflectors were and bolt them on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ddrumman, that is a great idea. Going to do exactly that this weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No problem. That is where the majority of Custom 650 owners move them to.

I wound up removing the rear fender to get at the wiring but I think it can be done without having to. I know you have to access the rear tail light...at least that's what I remember.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this on the weekend and was happy to be able to install my saddle bags, finally.

I don't believe the fender needed to be removed to move the signal lights but I did anyway just to see what is under there. Pretty straight forward job though. All the connections are in the tail light enclosure and the wires are long enough so no cutting or any destruction to anything other than the license plate bracket.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad you got the job done!

I remember now that I removed more than I needed to but this bike, at that time, was very new to me, having come off bikes that were not of the cruiser type.

I'm toying with the idea of mounting my bags directly to the fender brackets and doing away with that throw over connection since I rarely ride without them. I'm also thinking of purchasing a trunk of some type but who knows!:confused:

Anyway, I'm glad you got your project done! Ride safe!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I Have an 03, 1100 Custom that I need to relocate the turn signals to the license plate bracket for saddlebags.
I wanted to know if the wires are long enough to reach on this bike?
Also I am not sure how to remove the turn signal without damaging the wires.

Thanks, JC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yamaha Mount

I read this thread when researching the possibility of relocating my turn signals to accommodate a larger saddlebag on my vStar 650 Custom. I had seen that Yamaha offered a bracket for this job, but couldn't find anyone who saying they had used it. I made the change this weekend, so thought I'd post some info here for anyone else that might be thinking about this mod.

My plan had been to upgrade to a larger V-Star this year, and to get bigger bags then. I love my 650, but want a bike with both a bigger engine and overall size. Then my girlfriend's POS ex-husband decided to sue her (3rd time in 5 years), and guess who gets to pay the legal fees? Chivalry is not dead, but Mr. Toad's dream of getting a new bike this year is - at least for now. With the help of a local shop, I picked out a mid-sized Willie and Max saddlebag that would fit my bike, and got started on the install.

It seemed that most folks who had completed this mod used the existing side reflector mounts below the tail light, drilling out the holes to accommodate the turn signals. But I found the Yamaha mount online for $30 plus tax, and thought I would give it a shot. The install requires some disassembly of the rear end. You have to remove the rear taillight assembly, and be able to access the inside of the fender with a large socket to remove the signals. I unbolted everything so that I could lift up the rear fender, but a smarter mechanic might be able to do this job without all that effort.

Despite Yamaha's statement that the bracket is 'universal,' I found that the holes were not large enough for my turn signals, and I had to drill them out. This was quite a job for me and my hand held Black & Decker drill. Many four letter words were heard in my garage during this part of the process.

So, here are a couple of pics showing the results. In hindsight, it might have been easier to go the cheap route and just drill out the reflector mounts, since I had to drill the plate anyhow. But I like the new position of the signals, and there's just enough room for my bags. The mount also increases the amount of pseudo-fender at the back, which helps offset some of the 'Duck Butt' appearance of the Custom's rear end. It has occurred to me that maybe I should have mounted the plate from the underside of the fender, but it's hard to tell if it would actually fit there - I'll post an update if I decide to try it.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts