Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cleaning up an old Road star. New windshield, new tires and some new parts for the charging system. I have found some Saddle bags that are priced right and would like to know if anyone has used these. I can't seem to find any customer reviews, the following is the set that I am considering.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Motorcycle-Black-Hard-Saddle-Bag-Trunk-Case-for-Yamaha-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Honda/192568268413?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=52474&meid=e8cbe474495f4f14974fc7e0b85b13ab&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=232366707719&itm=192568268413&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

thanks for any help
Al Jones

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My review.....they are ugly. I don't like fiberglass containers.
You must have misread my question. I was not asking an opinion on how you think they look. I was asking if anyone has purchased them and could tell me what they think of the fitment and the quality. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also you must not have looked at the link that I posted. The bags that I'm looking at are Plastic with a leather-like material over the plastic, they are not fiberglass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry I can't provide any helpful advise on that particular product.

As a Road Star owner with factory bags I'm questioning the mounting hardware kit. Seems a bit on the skimpy side from initial view. The stock mounts go up to the passenger pegs and mount on the fender. Here is a parts list with photo.

https://www.starpartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004627ef8700209bc7956a5/saddlebag-1

Outside of that they seem similar in style and shape to the factory bags.

Another option may be if your not in a hurry to watch ebay and other places for some take-offs. Someone making a project bike out of one and not needing the bags. Of course that may take some time to find the right deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I can't provide any helpful advise on that particular product.

As a Road Star owner with factory bags I'm questioning the mounting hardware kit. Seems a bit on the skimpy side from initial view. The stock mounts go up to the passenger pegs and mount on the fender. Here is a parts list with photo.

https://www.starpartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004627ef8700209bc7956a5/saddlebag-1

Outside of that they seem similar in style and shape to the factory bags.

Another option may be if your not in a hurry to watch ebay and other places for some take-offs. Someone making a project bike out of one and not needing the bags. Of course that may take some time to find the right deal.
Thanks for your thoughts. My first Yamaha was a 2000 Road Star Silverado, that I bought new in 2000, so I'm familiar with the stock bags. That mounting hardware was very stout. For the price, the bags that I'm looking at seem okay and I could always add a stabilizer bar to the foot peg bolt if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, so you're familiar with everything about that bike then. If you like the looks of the bags that seems a decent price for a new set. And like you say, you can always fab up something to make the mounts more sturdy if you desire.

Let us know how you like them if you go that route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buddy has that set, although they're not leather covered. They seem to do okay other than the mounts are very flimsy, and allow them to shake (I notice this whenever he's in front of me. Also, when he mounted them he had a few beers in and doesn't have a motorcycle jack, so they're not quite level...but thats not the bags' fault.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
they kinda look like 950 tourer bags, with aftermarket bags you might want to modify the hold down brackets to make a firmer mounting, using thicker/larger washers sometimes helps or substituting washers for plates, i used fender washers to hold my tail bag to the rear rack and sissybar

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a set of Vikingbags

I purchased a set of Vikingbags and for the money I'm very satisfied. They are a pain to install. Once installed they look good and are pretty solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow....they are huge. Nice bike. Are they hard to remove and put back on? I often take my bags off and it takes about 3 minutes to do. My bags are el-cheapos that don't lock. I could have had another set for free. All I had to pay was shipping (about 55 dollars). I haven't taken any trips with my bike yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow....they are huge. Nice bike. Are they hard to remove and put back on? I often take my bags off and it takes about 3 minutes to do. My bags are el-cheapos that don't lock. I could have had another set for free. All I had to pay was shipping (about 55 dollars). I haven't taken any trips with my bike yet.
Each bag is held on by the bolts that hold the finder chrome piece on. So to take them off is easy enough, putting them back on is a bit of a pain, but if I hogged out the two main bolt holes in the bag I guess putting them back on would be easy. That would also allow for better alignment so both bags match in tilt and up and down. The bags look big, but they are really small on storage space. I'm not worried about storage, I just need a place for rain jacket or sweatshirt maybe water and sun screen. I do like the way they look on the bike. I have an idea for a bracket that would allow me to move the bags a few inches closer to the finder and I may give that a try. But for now I'm very happy.

Cheers,

Al Jones

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,126 Posts
They look great. I've had a set of Viking bags, different style, and have held up very good. It's always fun making it your own with accessories.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first trip out with the new Viking Bags and one of the reflector popped off. The box that they were shipped in was water damaged and that makes me think that the bags may have suffered water damage also. There seems to be a stain in the leather covering around the reflector area. At first look everything seemed fine. Looking closer after the reflector fell off made me think the package took a lot of water.

Waiting to see how Viking Bags handle this problem. But I think the bags look great on my old Roadie.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buddy runs those. Two problems: the mounting brackets they give you are horrible, and prone to vibration. Also, he installed them when the bike was on the kickstand, and found when he stood it up theyre not level!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy runs those. Two problems: the mounting brackets they give you are horrible, and prone to vibration. Also, he installed them when the bike was on the kickstand, and found when he stood it up theyre not level!
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. Your right the bags shake rattle and roll to be sure. I've been looking for a way to stabilize them a bit more. No ideas yet that don't require a complete new bracket. Also, these bags are not cheap in cost by any means. And without stabilizing them at the bottom to the frame of the bike they will continue to shake. I asked Viking Bags if this is a common problem and they said no. I went on their web site to see if they offer the reflectors for sale, and they do, but are out of stock....humm.

Cheers,

Al Jones

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder if you could mount them using an OEM set of yamaha bag mounts. You can usually find those pretty cheap, if not free...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if you could mount them using an OEM set of yamaha bag mounts. You can usually find those pretty cheap, if not free...
You find me a pair pretty cheap and I'll see if they will work. I've not see any used ones around. But I do like the idea.

Cheers,

Al Jones

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hope Viking does the right thing by you. The missing emblem would send my OCD into overdrive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts