Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add saddlebags to my '09 V Star 650 Classic and the ones from Viking Bags look interesting. They only sell direct and without seeing them in person or doing a test fit it is difficult to know what size to buy. Has anyone bought and hard mounted these bags to their 650 Classic?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is a picture of my 04 650 classic with new saddlebags. They aren't hard mounted, but I may work on that in the future.

The dimensions on them are 20Lx11.5Hx6.5D for comparison. Do you know the dimensions of the vikings you are looking at?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also for size comparison, I have the Willie&Max hard mounted bags. Synthetic leather, had them for probably 3 years now. The OUTSIDE dimensions are 20" long, 11" high, and 7.5" wide. The inside width is closer to 6". Getting the biggest bag that will fit your bike is the best idea, you won't regret it. They fill up quick though.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also for size comparison, I have the Willie&Max hard mounted bags. Synthetic leather, had them for probably 3 years now. The OUTSIDE dimensions are 20" long, 11" high, and 7.5" wide. The inside width is closer to 6". Getting the biggest bag that will fit your bike is the best idea, you won't regret it. They fill up quick though.
Dave - those bags look great and your bike looks identical to mine. I will check those bags out for sure. Any chance you remember the part or model number of the bags?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you check out the Willie & Max website you'll see them. I think they are called "revolution" hard mount bags. You'll want the large size, 20.5" by 11.5". I bought mine from a motorcycle shop for like $339 IIRC. They came with all the hardware to mount but you must drill holes through the backside of the bags yourself. This is so you can mount them at the height that is right for your bike.

I took several hours mounting mine. Measured everything about 10 times to make sure the bags were symmetrical and even with the top of the rear fender. So far in the years I've had them they still look good. I clean them with just a damp clean washcloth. I used to put armor all on them when they were new but stopped. I like the dry look better.
Only complaint I had was after mounting the angle of them didn't seem quite right. They kind of tipped in at the top towards the bike. Looked funny from behind. Went to the hardware store and bought 4 new longer bolts and a bunch of washers to use as spacers. Figured out where I wanted the bags and added washers to get it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts