Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of Saddlemen Express saddlebgs on my bike this weekend. The dealer from whom I bought them suggested I add some support to keep them from sagging in toward the tire; he said I could buy some brackets or better yet make some from scrap metal. I, being of Scottish decent, chose the latter.

I found a spare part from my wife's cltohes dryer that is about the size of a standard car license plate, but a little bit thicker. I cut this in half, removed any burrs and sharp edges (used a Dremmel for all of this), drilled a bolt hole and broke it slightly so it would angle out away from the bike just a bit. I added a small adhesive rubber bumper (that I had previously bought probably at Lowes or Wal Mart) to the bike-side of the plate and mounted it to the bike using the rear sissy bar bracket bolt. I then added a slot (again with the Dremmel) just wide enough for the bottom straps of the bags to fit through and voila, done. It works like a charm, looks nice, and didn't cost a dime. We'll see if it holds up over time.

I'm thinking an old license plate could be used the same way...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mr Moderator. We should start a sticky post about least expensive mods done to your V-star.

Great Idea Lmeeii. LOL Also an errant road sign would work. I had a few of those as a kid. I think the Statute of Limitations has run out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fulltilt1, I'd really like to see some photos of your bike. I am interested in adding more headlights, a little more HP, and other improvements and modifications to my 2005 V-star 1100 Custom. The description in your signature intrigues me and I'd like to see what they look like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hmm, here's another idea

My 1100 had the supports already when I bought it.
But, you could go to local steel company and get some 3/8 round bar and heat and bend them to your liking. The mounts can be made from 1/4 heavy wall pipe, cut them about 5/8 inch long and measure the diameter of the bolt that bolt into the rear fender and drill out the inside of the pipe about 3/8 inch deep leaving 1/4 of metal. Then all you have to do is drill a hole on the other side large enough for the bolt to go through. Then weld the 1/4 inch pipe to the bent round bar and you have a saddlebag bracket. Just need some paint and your in business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts