Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread down the middle of our 1300T deterated and is letting the leather spread. Can or has anyone replaced that thread? What did I do wrong, care? Jim MN

·
Registered
15 Posts
The same thing happened on my 07 1300. I don't have a reason because the PO had it repaired at an Auto upholstery place. My bike has been garage kept by both the PO and myself. However, the bags sometimes look dry. Leather wipes seem to brighten them up nice.

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oiling the leather after it shrinks will not restore it. You should oil the leather, periodically, so that it does not shrink.

I had a set shrink on me, and I took them to an auto upholstery shop, and they are good as new.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
are the saddlebags really leather or are they 'pleather' (plastic 'leather')? There's a huge difference and most saddlebags are the latter despite the term 'leather' being widely and erroneously used.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The bags on the Touring bikes are real leather covers. Like was said above you can either have an upholstery shop recover them, or take all the leather off and have the bags painted to match the bike. If you go back with leather, Mink oil is your friend. An 8 ounce tub should last for years.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Why? Does Yamaha have a history of using buffalo hide?
who knows, they use outside vendors for just about every oem add on, some of it is pretty cheesy too, i have a buffalo leather jacket and the material kinda looks like those covers that's why i mentioned it, but i'm no leather expert

·
Registered
909 Posts
who knows, they use outside vendors for just about every oem add on, some of it is pretty cheesy too...
Hopefully they don't use the same hide supplier as Vikingbags® which the manufacturer lists as being contructed of 'Viking leather'. I'm not really much of a P.C. kinda guy but using the tanned hides of vikings kinda strikes a cord with me and makes me a little uneasy. But then maybe I'm just misunderstanding what 'Viking leather' really is and is in the realm of elusive hide rarities like 'Corinthian leather' that Chrysler used for upholstering their 'luxury' cars back in the 70s and 80s, despite the fact that Corinthians where never known for their leather production savvy. Apparently it wasn't traditional animal based leather they were using nor was it vinyl otherwise they'd surely note it... the secrecy only leads me to be believe that their leather is actually, dear lawt hep me...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hopefully they don't use the same hide supplier as Vikingbags® which the manufacturer lists as being contructed of 'Viking leather'. I'm not really much of a P.C. kinda guy but using the tanned hides of vikings kinda strikes a cord with me and makes me a little uneasy. But then maybe I'm just misunderstanding what 'Viking leather' really is and is in the realm of elusive hide rarities like 'Corinthian leather' that Chrysler used for upholstering their 'luxury' cars back in the 70s and 80s, despite the fact that Corinthians where never known for their leather production savvy. Apparently it wasn't traditional animal based leather they were using nor was it vinyl otherwise they'd surely note it... the secrecy only leads me to be believe that their leather is actually, dear lawt hep me...
ahhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts