Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I loved the power and look of the Stratty, I didn't ride as much as I thought. My wife checks in at 5'3" and 105, was never comfortable for more than 20-30 miles. That in and of itself wasn't a major issue, but it was disappointing.

But as I explored options to hopefully meet her needs and my desire to make it more convenient for my 225 mile trip to my HQ, I decided that it was time to transition to a larger tourer. I found a great deal on a 2012 FLHTK with 19k miles and an extended warranty and I must say I am very happy. Lost a little on the power and style, but the comfort gains for the wife and I are well worth it.

My Stratty was a 2006 with 6700 miles and it was immaculate. I think it was pretty much sold in the parking before I walked in the door.

The Strattys were great bikes and I will certainly miss her.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
No argument here. The stock passenger seat on a stratoliner is certainly not designed for touring.

More like "get this hot babe home before the alcohol wears off and she gets a good look at me!" so yeah 20-30 miles is about right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No argument here. The stock passenger seat on a stratoliner is certainly not designed for touring.

More like "get this hot babe home before the alcohol wears off and she gets a good look at me!" so yeah 20-30 miles is about right.
Lol, true. I did have Mustang seats but it just wasn't doing it for her.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
As much as I loved the power and look of the Stratty, I didn't ride as much as I thought. My wife checks in at 5'3" and 105, was never comfortable for more than 20-30 miles. That in and of itself wasn't a major issue, but it was disappointing.

But as I explored options to hopefully meet her needs and my desire to make it more convenient for my 225 mile trip to my HQ, I decided that it was time to transition to a larger tourer. I found a great deal on a 2012 FLHTK with 19k miles and an extended warranty and I must say I am very happy. Lost a little on the power and style, but the comfort gains for the wife and I are well worth it.

My Stratty was a 2006 with 6700 miles and it was immaculate. I think it was pretty much sold in the parking before I walked in the door.

The Strattys were great bikes and I will certainly miss her.

Ride safe!
Too bad you didn’t take a Yamaha SVTC for a ride. Especially with the wife because she would definitely have approved!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Too bad you didn’t take a Yamaha SVTC for a ride. Especially with the wife because she would definitely have approved!
I don't know about that. Sounds like you have some first hand experience that there may be some pains involved in jumping on the SVTC bandwagon early. :wink:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don't know about that. Sounds like you have some first hand experience that there may be some pains involved in jumping on the SVTC bandwagon early. /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I know what you’re saying, but my current struggles have not deterred my overall opinion of the bike. It’s a first year release of a brand new model AND I have a low production line s/n. I was under no illusions that there would not be issues that may pop up.
I will say that both Yamaha and my dealership “Team Charlotte Motorsports” have truly been stellar in addressing ANY concerns I’ve had.
It truly is a wonderful ride!

·
2,357 Posts
Very understandable why you traded up. My wife loves riding and rarely complains but I know that hard rock Yamaha calls a passenger seat can't be all that comfortable. She claims she doesn't want a touring bike, in spite of the obvious leap forward in comfort.

Even though you went over to the dark side :wink: I hope you still pop in occasionally.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I know what you’re saying, but my current struggles have not deterred my overall opinion of the bike. It’s a first year release of a brand new model AND I have a low production line s/n. I was under no illusions that there would not be issues that may pop up.
I will say that both Yamaha and my dealership “Team Charlotte Motorsports” have truly been stellar in addressing ANY concerns I’ve had.
It truly is a wonderful ride!
I think also, Chief, that your bike (as supported by the lack of any other reported mechanical failures) might be the 'exception to the rule'. My serial is 042, and is running perfectly, quiet, strong,...so...hopefully, that failed lifter, has you 'paying the dues' one time only. :) The good 'news'...is that you have a lifter and cam shaft newer and with less miles, than the rest of us pack of '500'. Humor, is the best lubricant of all.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts