Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1017 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not natural but there are a lot of caves here in the KC area that are pretty neat, they are carved out and have businesses inside, even server farms in some of them. I went down in one a while back and was really surprised.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
394 Posts
I think cave openings (implies rocks, right?) would work just fine.

Spring is here, so my hope is that a challenge like this will get us out for longer rides. Wish I was doing this one, because we've got cool stuff within an hour or two of my home. Like Vasques Rocks.

·
2,025 Posts
It's only Tuesday and it has been a long week. If I can work up the gumption I am going to try for this Saturday. I am a little worried about the steep gravel roads. It's about a 2 1/2 hrs from me.

From the West:

Take Highway 50 to Kyburz, which is 31 miles East of Placerville. From Kyburz, continue East 4.9 miles to the marked Wrights Lake Road, which is a left turn.
Once on Wright's Lake Road:

This will wander up a around for a while, getting narrower as it climbs. After 2.3 miles, the Phantom Spires will leap into view to the left. As soon as you can see the spires, take the next left onto a gravel logging road (Road 11N26B) that's REALLY easy to miss. This road heads downhill from the road and moves more in line with the gradient around the valley, and can be seen from the paved road below the spires if missed. Follow the gravel road (slowly in 2wd vehicles!) until the road ends in a parking lot in about a mile. There is a pullout about 1/2 way in on the road if you feel that your vehicle can't take the road, and this will shorten the longer approach.

·
2,025 Posts
It's supposed to rain on Saturday I might have to rethink the gravel roads. Target two the Masons Cave in Volcano, Ca. On private property but people are welcome to visit from 9 to 6. About an hour away I will most likely get wet on the way home but that's what Campbells Tomato soup and Grilled Cheese are for.

·
2,025 Posts
I have to try target three it looks like unless I can hook up outriggers Volcano is in the foothills. I don't have a target three. One of you may have to get this one.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
Bummer part is other than the rock formation in my flower bed there's not any for miles. Count me out of this one.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,354 Posts

Does this work? I’ve got lots of formations like this around me, but nothing which I’d consider “monumental”.
It is a nice looking rock.
This big boulder was along somebody’s driveway and I had to pull into their driveway for the pic.

·
2,025 Posts
"your bike at an interesting rock formation" "but only natural formations please." "Use your own judgement" I think you are close.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,354 Posts
"your bike at an interesting rock formation" "but only natural formations please." "Use your own judgement" I think you are close.
It is a “natural formation”. I live in “Rockwell”, so needless to say these are kinda common here.
I supplied the pic, you guys determine if something more is needed.

I’ve put over 1,000 miles on my bike over the last couple days, so I’m covering is ground.

·
2,025 Posts
Is has to be a pic taken after the target was posted. Sorry if this is the case with this pic.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
394 Posts
Chief, if it works for you, it is fine by me. This thing has to be self-policing. You obviously thought it fit the criteria given.

Also, nice pair! We don't get to say that much in these PC days. :)

So what's up next?

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,354 Posts
Chief, if it works for you, it is fine by me. This thing has to be self-policing. You obviously thought it fit the criteria given.

Also, nice pair! We don't get to say that much in these PC days. :)

So what's up next?
Not just yet. That pic IS one I’d taken a while back, but I can duplicate it very easily. It’s 3 miles down the road.
Give me a bit and I’ll re-post it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
Bump. Come on folks, let's get this one. The only rocks on the gulf coast are the ones in my head, and they are to small to count.

901 - 920 of 1017 Posts