Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I guess I’m going to try the sea foam stuff as a lot of talk about it here. What is the do’s an don’ts and how often do you use can’t see putting it in every tank fill up. Any suggestions would be great as I normally do not use any gas additives. I believe that I bought the right stuff as I don’t know if there is one just for motorcycles.
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
do like it says on the label: 1 ounce per gallon of fuel

normally put enough for a full tank when I fill the tank

running it thru a tank full will clean out the fuel system - if the bike is running a bit off that might be all it needs

same ratio for when you store the bike because its going to be parked for a few months or more

If the bike is running really rough, because its been parked without the fuel being stabilized, then it might take more than one tank with Seafoam to get it back to normal

the other thing: if the bike is running poorly fuel additives only clean when they are flowing thru the jets and PMscrews - which means for the main jets it only flows when the throttle is half open or more - so if the bike is running rough, accelerate WFO when you can, esp up a long hill where fuel will flow thru all the jets and passages as fast as possible

If you have a bike or vehicle or gas powered machine that you only use occasionally, then keep the 1 ounce / gallon in the tank all the time

esp things like lawn mowers and snow blowers that can sit for months before the tank is refilled. Keeping Seafoam in the tank all the time will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how often do you use it every tank or less than that. The bikes I have now run fine but I just thought maybe it may clean some junk out of the fuel system. As the major fuel supplies around here probably questionable as to how old the fuel is and one of my bikes require premium fuel 93 octane or better. And I know that people don’t use enough of that fuel so I don’t know how old it really is.

·
2,742 Posts
I know a guy who adds it to every tank on his 1000 cc sport bike. He claims it doesn't work right if he doesn't. I'll add a little to a couple of tanks through the season just to keep everything clean and dispel any condensation that might be in there.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I get a fresh can when I store the bikes for the winter

for my two bikes that takes half a can

if I dont use up the rest for the snowblower I will put it in the bikes at some point in the summer, just to use it up

If a bike seems to be running rough or is a bit off, I just add it, no matter what time of year

a 16 oz bottle is $8, and it cant hurt anything, so if nothing else it makes me feel better to run some thru the carbs

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,948 Posts
OK, let me get my sales pitch in. When I first got my 1100, used and had sat, it took an entire fuel system cleaning to get the bike running right. After I got it running right I used Seafoam at every oil change to keep things clear. In the Gulf Coast area we has extremely high humidity, hurricanes and other perception events often. Fuel tanks at stations are notorious for collecting moisture. I will probably average at least once every other month of getting fuel that is water contaminated. A dose of Seafoam clears it up pretty quickly. It's a product that has worked very good for me throughout the years, so I'm one that recommends from personal experience.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Wink Wink...I have heard you can use it for just about everything Wink Wink...I am pretty sure @lesblank and @KCW and @Deeksvstarclassic get a royalty from every can purchased...wink wink..🤣:cool::p(y)(y) Just dont put it on a sandwich!!!
You can put it on your sandwich but just on 1 side. In the bike i just use it to store it. In the skeeter i use it every other tank. In the chainsaws i mix it when i mix the oil in every gal. I use 1 1/2 oz in my smoked meatloaf.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
there was a story in the news a few months back

a coastal town in Spain was flooded with SeaFoam !

·
Registered
644 Posts
I use the Berrymans B12 when I need to clean up fuel systems. It's more aggressive but I would not want it to sit in fuel for weeks on end.
Add it and run it through.
I know it's aggressive because it easily broke down the glue from the tint on my cars rear window.

OK, let me get my sales pitch in. When I first got my 1100, used and had sat, it took an entire fuel system cleaning to get the bike running right. After I got it running right I used Seafoam at every oil change to keep things clear. In the Gulf Coast area we has extremely high humidity, hurricanes and other perception events often. Fuel tanks at stations are notorious for collecting moisture. I will probably average at least once every other month of getting fuel that is water contaminated. A dose of Seafoam clears it up pretty quickly. It's a product that has worked very good for me throughout the years, so I'm one that recommends from personal experience.
I think for moisture in fuel this would be a good idea.
Fuel pumps have fuel filters on them but not water separators.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping that maybe seeing that I don’t put many miles on any of my bikes it may reduce carbon buildup. Not really worried about dirty carbs or plugged injectors. I don’t let old gas sit in the tanks usually I have drained all the gas out and stick it in the cars or other gas powered equipment before it gets to old. I can’t remember when the last time I’ve had to clean a gas tank or carburetor because of gummed up jets.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was hoping that maybe seeing that I don’t put many miles on any of my bikes it may reduce carbon buildup. Not really worried about dirty carbs or plugged injectors. I don’t let old gas sit in the tanks usually I have drained all the gas out and stick it in the cars or other gas powered equipment before it gets to old. I can’t remember when the last time I’ve had to clean a gas tank or carburetor because of gummed up jets.
I did notice it makes the tips of plugs orangish so maybe it does reduce some carbon.
That was the problem on some direct injection cars is the the backs of the valves were getting carbon build up so the manufacturers decided to add more injectors before the valves so a 4 cylinder car would have 8 injectors.

I would imagine on your bike, it could not hurt and maybe clean carbon from the valves.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The shelf life on crap gas is only 30 days. Seafoam will extend it. Not only does it clean carbs and injectors it will also stabilize the gas. Seafoam is the Nectar of the gearheads.
Lol. Crap gas!
I have an ethanol free station down the road that is the only place I get gas when in town.
They sell all grades.
I don't have to drain when I store my equipment but do add a dose of the foam just for insurance and never have had to tear a carb apart.
I do remember that my snow blower would not start once because I had fuel with ethanol stored in it for the spring, summer and fall.
I pulled the bowl off and it was all full of jelly and jets were plugged with that goop.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Usually you can only find e0 gas in premium octane

if you think you are getting e0 at your gas station make sure its not only the top premium grade that is labelled ethanol free

and... if your bike is designed to run regular grade e10, it will run very lean on premium octane

there are two stations in the Rochester NY area that sell ethanol free gas in regular octane, one is across the street from the private side of the airport

I tried running e0 regular in my 650 for a couple tanks a few years back - it seemed like it was running a little bit richer just from throttle response, but I got exactly the same mpgs as e10... 58mpg commuting

so I cant say the e0 was better by any metric that I could measure, but it would be great for storing the bike for the winter

but then still, you would have to drain all the e10 out of the tank and fill it with e0... with the trip to the station at the airport its at least an hour task

it takes 60 seconds to measure 5 ounces of Seafoam and put it in a full tank.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
385 Posts
I suggest that it is not necessary to make a science project out of this. I bought a can of Seafoam. One can per year. A 16oz can. Pour what feels like 1/4 can in the tank. Which would be 4oz, but not measured. Do that 4 times over the year. And that's riding year round.

Personally I prefer Stabil for stabilizing fuel long term. About a double dose over label usage. I use it in all portable equipment. The bike doesn't tend to sit long enough to need any additive.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts