Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to put seafoam in oil of motorcycles with wet clutch. Wanted to run through before changing oil, but not sure if it would hurt wet clutch..

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
I would not add any additives in my oil. One thing I've done in the past on older bikes is to put new oil and filters in, run bike to operating temperature and drain it out as soon as engine just bearly cools down. Then put new oil and filter in. It's kinda like flushing the system without any harmful effects.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I put 3 oz of seafoam in my 650 crankcase last fall, about 2 weeks before I did a full oil and filter change.

The instructions on the can says you can use it in your oil and gas. I dont know if I would want to put it in with fresh oil.

I doubt it would hurt anything - could not find any negative reports on using it in the oil on a MC with google.

The thing you need to worry about on a MC wet clutch is putting something in that is too slippery, like a silicon oil additive.

BTW, I like the way autospell changed your title on this thread: seafood LOL!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I like getting fish sandwiches at McDonalds, cant eat cheeseburgers all the time.

But I always ask for a fish sandwich, fries and a drink please.

Do you want the FishMeal?!

No. I do not want Fishmeal!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I have seen people in McDonalds order a cheeseburger with no burger.

I dont know why they dont sell grilled cheese sandwiches?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I hate it even more when you spell a word incorrectly

and autospell, which has the entire dictionary at its disposal, cannot even GUESS what word you are trying to say!

THAT is embarrassing!

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
Jason, glad you can laugh with us. 😀

·
Registered
909 Posts
Grimace was a joke perpetrated by corporate higher ups on the public that represented the mystery filler they use for their beef. The character's name says it all. That's my segue to additives... I've seen them come and go over the years and in each case there were fanboys talking up the product as a miracle. Eventually these additives were found to not be all they were cracked up to be. I will always be skeptical of such things. However I have to give props to Marvel Mystery Oil for being around for so long and keeping that cool old fashioned typeface.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Grey Goose Vodka.
Was inexpensive just like any other entry level vodka.
Few paid any attention to it and purchased cheap Smirnoff or what ever they were accustom to drinking.
Later on Grey Goose tripled the price and marketed as "premium" vodka.
Sales went through the roof.
Its now the "Harley Davidson" of Vodka and they are making tons of money off every drop sold.

There was a time when Shell Rotella oil was one of the cheapest oil's out there...not any more.

Are expensive fuel & oil additives actually doing any good? If you think they are then they are. I'm going to spend my money on Grey Goose vodka instead.:grin:

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
that is the test report I have yet to see.

You can put a motor oil thru all kinds of testing protocols, and see how much the viscosity reduces, see if the additives remove carbon from the engine, and you can test filters to see what size particles they let thru

but.. over the life of your MC engine, does that indicate the motor will last longer? I have never seen that data.

The SAE standards for motor oil indicate it will perform and keep its characteristics for its intended use at the temperatures you would expect to see in your engine. So if the oil has the SAE lollypop, then it will do what its suppose to do, whether its $2 or $10 a quart. That is what the standard is for.

One of the great things about a motorcycle from an engineering perspective is it 'can be' an ideal one person motor vehicle: small, light, maneuverable simple to operate and maintain, AND inexpensive compared to a car or truck. If you have to use premium gas, and $8 oil, and buy expensive filters it defeats that inexpensive appeal.

We already have to bite it on tires, because MC tires are not made in the quantity like car tires, so you cannot goto Walmart and get a motorcycle tire for $30 and have it installed for $10.

Personally it will take me 20 years to put 100,000 miles on one motorcycle. I think by then I will be ready for a new one.

(and by "new one", I mean another bike that someone bought new from a dealer, hardly rode for a few years, and then was happy to sell for half what they paid for it).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Grey Goose Vodka.
Was inexpensive just like any other entry level vodka.
Few paid any attention to it and purchased cheap Smirnoff or what ever they were accustom to drinking.
Later on Grey Goose tripled the price and marketed as "premium" vodka.
Sales went through the roof.
Its now the "Harley Davidson" of Vodka and they are making tons of money off every drop sold.

There was a time when Shell Rotella oil was one of the cheapest oil's out there...not any more.

Are expensive fuel & oil additives actually doing any good? If you think they are then they are. I'm going to spend my money on Grey Goose vodka instead.:grin:
You put grey Goose in your gas or oil? ;)

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
The old grey woman jumped out of bed
She ran to the window and popped out her head,
Crying John, John, the Grey Goose is gone
And the fox is on the town-o

·
Registered
909 Posts
Grey Goose Vodka.
Was inexpensive just like any other entry level vodka...
It's the same with Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. Good marketing and hype built it up as a superlative bourbon so now vendors can sell a $60 bottle for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I laugh when I hear people talk about their >$120/shot Pappy experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts