Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going to Sturgis this year with the hope of having a backrest option on my Stratoliner. First question; does anyone make a driver backrest add-on to work with the OEM seat but does not interface with the passenger seat at all? I usually ride solo.

Second question; if there is no backrest option available as noted above, which company offers a seat that is the SAME height and places you in the SAME stock position forward and aft like the OEM seat with a backrest? My windshield is already cut down precisely and I don't want to invest in another OEM windshield again. I have corresponded so far with both Ultimate and E.D. Seats and here is what their comments were. Regarding the Ultimate Low Rider, they said even though their site notes its the same height and position it is the height that will come in anywhere from 1/2"-1" higher prior to break in. Your weight will determine the time needed to sink in more towards the OEM height. E.D. Seat commented that their Standard Seat sits you closer to the handle bar and is also a bit lower than the OEM seat. No mention of a measurement for either. Does anyone have any user comments they can add? BTW, I am 6' and 162 lbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Mustang seat with a backrest that seems to be the stock height and position, but with a profile that's more comfortable. The backrest is contained within the rider's seat and both don't need a passenger seat. They would be a good source to check with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found out from the Grasshopper folks that they make a backrest for the driver's seat that does not need the passenger seat to function and it disconnects without tools if you don't use the anti tamper set screw. This is good news. BTW, I always found that the Mustang seats from past experience always move your forward and upward at least on other bikes I've had. That's why I didn't include them in my search.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,184 Posts
Just found out from the Grasshopper folks that they make a backrest for the driver's seat that does not need the passenger seat to function and it disconnects without tools if you don't use the anti tamper set screw. This is good news. BTW, I always found that the Mustang seats from past experience always move your forward and upward at least on other bikes I've had. That's why I didn't include them in my search.
I’ve got a grasshopper on a different bike and love it. I’ve also installed two for other folks and they love them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm planning on going to Sturgis this year with the hope of having a backrest option on my Stratoliner. First question; does anyone make a driver backrest add-on to work with the OEM seat but does not interface with the passenger seat at all? I usually ride solo.

Second question; if there is no backrest option available as noted above, which company offers a seat that is the SAME height and places you in the SAME stock position forward and aft like the OEM seat with a backrest? My windshield is already cut down precisely and I don't want to invest in another OEM windshield again. I have corresponded so far with both Ultimate and E.D. Seats and here is what their comments were. Regarding the Ultimate Low Rider, they said even though their site notes its the same height and position it is the height that will come in anywhere from 1/2"-1" higher prior to break in. Your weight will determine the time needed to sink in more towards the OEM height. E.D. Seat commented that their Standard Seat sits you closer to the handle bar and is also a bit lower than the OEM seat. No mention of a measurement for either. Does anyone have any user comments they can add? BTW, I am 6' and 162 lbs.
I installed the Ultimate Low Rider seat on my Strat a couple months ago but due to local weather, I have not yet had enough ride time to break it in as the company suggests. Initially I was somewhat disappointed in the higher-than-stock riding position as you have also noted. I look forward to the break-in, hopefully generating a lower riding position. The seat is otherwise very comfortable at the tailbone area and does not push me into an awkward butt-numbing position of the former stock seat. BTW I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the Ultimate Low Rider seat on my Strat a couple months ago but due to local weather, I have not yet had enough ride time to break it in as the company suggests. Initially I was somewhat disappointed in the higher-than-stock riding position as you have also noted. I look forward to the break-in, hopefully generating a lower riding position. The seat is otherwise very comfortable at the tailbone area and does not push me into an awkward butt-numbing position of the former stock seat. BTW I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs.
I truly look forward to your future report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts